Saturday, April 23, 2022

How I Store My Scraps

 This was not a very productive week in my sewing room.  I managed to hand appliqué a few more doors and windows on a couple of houses on my Coming Home quilt, but that's about it.  


There may have been some bribing involved in the taking of this next photo---Finn is showing you have have two more houses to do on this row.  The dark blue house will have a yellow door and windows.  The magenta house just needs the windows sewn down. This will be my project for slow Sunday stitching tomorrow. I will link up with Kathy in the morning. 

I have had a few comments on my slightly large collection of selvages.  I am still in the midst of organizing them by colour.  They are the only part of my stash that is not organized by colour.  I spent a lot of time a few years ago, getting all of my fat quarters washed, sorted by colour and organized in to plastic drawers. I then tackled the scraps.  I bought lots of clear plastic shoe boxes and went through all of my scraps and sorted them.  They now live in these labeled bins in my sewing room.  It is easy to find the colour of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge or if I am looking for some fabrics to use in a comfort quilt block for one of my guilds.   I have a small basket on my sewing desk--all scraps go into it as I am sewing and cutting.  When it is full, I spend a few minutes sorting them and putting them away in the appropriate bin. 



I also have bins for fat quarters and larger solid fabrics.  There is a bin of batik scraps and a bin for cool and warm coloured solid scraps. 


For pink month, I dug into my pink scraps below as well as my bin of 2 1/2" squares.  I made several quilts from these squares last year and I'm still working on using them up!



We have had an up and down week with the weather this past week.  On Monday, it snowed. A lot.  Finn liked it.  My husband and I, not so much. 


By Thursday, my friend and I did not need jackets on our walk and the buds on the trees at the park were bursting open.  I'm not sure what type of tree this is but it sure is pretty!



Today, my husband and I were out in our shorts, cleaning up the garden and putting out the patio furniture.  My gardens are waking up and lots of flowers are blooming. Other plants, such as this Columbine are unfurling their leaves. I saw lots of ladybugs today too.





I can't remember what this flower is called...can anyone help me?






Tomorrow, it is supposed to be 25 degrees!  This coming week, there may be flurries one evening.  This is April in my neck of the woods. 

Take care and see you next week. 

13 comments:

  1. That white flower is bloodroot. I consider it a week in my flower beds and they are the first ones I pull up every spring. they stain your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a range of weather! it can be so irritating you thing spring is here and then it is winter one day and spring the next! I don't think we ever get our scraps used up but it is nice to organize and see what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boxes and boxes of pretty scraps. I organise by colour too and the batiks get their own space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so annoying when you don't know which way the weather is going to go, it's the same here each day is different. I'm so impressed with how organised you are I'm afraid my craft supplies could do with a good bit of organisation. Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun weather -- I hope you're up for surprises! Thank you for sharing your organization tips. I could sure use a major clean-up and re-org! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your organizing bind and your pretty flower photos! I needed the colorful visuals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so very organized! I am impressed. I love your houses, so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very organized, and I too love your houses. Beautiful pictures of the flowers. We got some much needed rain last week, and this week we are due to be in the high 70s and 80s. I need to get out and mow the back yard again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have your scraps so very well organized , Gail Love The flowers on your Garden. Wheather is crazy all around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woolly clothes one day, shorts the other....how very strange. But that's weather, I suppose. =) What an organised person you are. Those see through boxes are an excellent idea. LOVE all your little houses. How fun they all are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bins of colorful scraps are so pretty and organized! Love seeing everything that's blooming, too - even when there's been snow. Enjoy stitching those adorable house blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great scrap organization! Love the photo of Finn with the house construction!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow your scraps are well cared for ! I'm happy to see spring has finally found you!

    ReplyDelete