Saturday, April 30, 2022

Slow Appliqué and a Quick Baby Quilt Top

I managed to get one more house completed on my Coming Home quilt this week...this is very slow progress indeed.  I guess that's why they call it slow stitching!  I hope to get the last house on this street outfitted with a door and windows by this time next week. 


I showed these tiny HST's a few weeks ago and this week, finally laid then out on the design wall.  They will be 1" when sewn into the block.  I am not sure what to do in the middle yet.  I'm not in love with the orange HST's.  Maybe I will try to fussy cut something to put there.  I will continue to ponder. 


I belong to a sewing group at church.  We sew items for the church Christmas Bazaar and in the past have made reusable menstruation kits for young women in Africa so that they can attend school.  We have not met in over two years and are slowly getting back to planning for this year's bazaar.  We went through all of the fabric in our stash of donated fabrics last week.  I brought home a couple of pieces of flannel that I thought I could use to make a baby quilt for the bazaar.  I used my Go Cutter to cut out the wedge shapes and the top went together pretty quickly after that.  I have a piece of donated minke for the back and some red fabric for the binding from my own stash.  I will quilt it myself. Here is the finished top. The white fabric has little racing cars on it. I will trim the sides before I quilt it. 


I continue to try to use up my scraps.  This week, I made two more scrappy 36 patch blocks for my rainbow scrap challenge project.  One is gray and the other is brown--these colours are not usually chosen for the challenge but I wanted to include them in my quilt.  I will have to see what colour is chosen for May so I can get working on those blocks this week. 



We celebrated my husband's birthday this week with a hike at Pinery Provincial Park.  His sister came along and Finn enjoyed exploring the trails too. It was a beautiful day.  Leaves are just starting to come out on the bushes. 




 


We saw lots of turtles basking in the sunshine but they were too far away to get a good picture of them.  Finn fell asleep quickly after supper!

I will link up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching crew in the morning. 

Take care and have a good week. 

10 comments:

  1. I love the tumbler top! Look sweet as Finn! Hahaha! Good dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the flannel baby quilt. It looks so cozy. You have a lot of brown and grey scraps. I like the fabrics in those blocks. It looks like you had a really nice hike in the park. I can understand why Finn was so tired. So many different "sniffs" to explore. Happy Birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fabulous photo looking up at the sky through the trees! Nice that you can once again have your Christmas church bazaar and help the charity in Africa. Your HST block causes my mind think of an optical illusion; it is so very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your husband, the Park looks like a lovely place to visit. All your projects are lovely, I love the new house in the street. Have a peaceful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Baby quilt looks so cozy . Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those whimsical fabrics in your rainbow scrap challenge. Great baby quilt too! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Coming Home blocks are looking great as are your RSC blocks. Such lovely photos of Pinery Park. So glad you was able to enjoy some time with nature with your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a beautiful place for a hike, and a great way to celebrate a birthday! I think any progress on your applique blocks is good progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a very practical project done by your church. A lovely spring birthday walk with the sun shining through the budding trees. We enjoyeda visit to the The Pinery once which I recall is on the shores of Lake Huron.

    ReplyDelete