Saturday, October 1, 2022

Finally Stitching the Binding Down

I have had my lupine quilt back from the long arm quilter for a couple of months now.  Finally, this past week, I had the time and energy to get the binding made and sewn on by machine.  I don't usually measure my quilts before I cut the binding.  I tend to just cut the number of strips that looks like the right amount--usually, I am pretty accurate doing it this way.  This week was no exception and I had 7" of binding to spare when it was all on. 


The binding is made from leftover backing fabric. The quilting was done by Julie and I love the pantograph we chose.  I didn't want something swirly for this graphic quilt.  The lupines are upside-down in this picture!



I've started hand sewing the binding and this will be my Slow Sunday Stitching project for tomorrow and probably into next week.  This is a queen sized quilt. 


In the cooler months, my husband and I like to work on a puzzle in the evenings.  We started this Quilts of Gees Bend puzzle this week. 



I pin basted my 36 patch Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt today.  I now have three quilts pin basted and I have officially run out of basting pins.  I hope to get this one quilted soon.  I will just be quilting it with straight lines in a diagonal grid through all of the white squares.   


Finn has an eye infection so he is wearing the dreaded cone this week.  He has eye drops from the vet and it is clearing up nicely so the cone should be gone soon. Finn wants you to notice the red leaf on the ground...He says Fall is here. 


My husband and I went for a walk in Port Stanley one afternoon this past week. I took this picture when we were at the end of the pier. 


I will link up with Kathy in the morning. 

15 comments:

  1. Busy week for you. Great picture from the end of the pier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, poor Finn, hope he feels better soon. Beautiful picture from the pier. Happy slow stitching/quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture from the pier. Finn looks adorable even with the cone. Looks like you have some great projects to finish up! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah poor Finn and thanks for the heads up that fall is here!
    Lovely quilting going on as usual and that is a great puzzle. I'm curious about your little jigsaw sorting bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Finn. Hope the cone can come off soon. Sew exciting to be stitching binding on the Lupine quilt. It is a stunner and she picked a great quilting design for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that the eye drops work for poor Fin and he can rid of the cone soon, Your quilting is beautiful and the binding will look perfect that's a lovely picture of Port Stanley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaah poor Finn; his face is so precious though. Can not wait to see your Lupine quilt bound and finished. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful spot for a walk. I love to be near water of any kind. Poor Finn. My son's dog is wearing his cone of shame too. He's got a hot spot and won't leave it alone. I'm looking forward to seeing your Lupine quilt on the bed. It look so pretty from what I can see/remember!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Finn he's wearing the cone of shame although to be fair it's not his fault he's got an eye infection! Love the quilting on your lupin quilt it's a perfect pattern. You are a good judge eyeballing the binding to seven inches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like the perfect binding for your lupine quilt! Enjoy stitching that and also finishing up the puzzle and the 36 patch quilt. What a fun picture on the pier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that pier shot! While I like looking at your quilts, I am impressed by you and your hubby doing puzzles together! I love to do them - I limit myself to one or two each December/January - he will sit down to "help" and two minutes later he's gone. He is so impatient that he won't try piece after piece to get the right one. He wants instant gratification, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that puzzle you are doing - and very neat little trays for the pieces... enjoy! And enjoy your binding... I miss binding since I haven't finished any quilts for such a long time!
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy stitching the binding. I find it so satisfying. I love completing puzzles and haven't done one in a while. I have to start one soon. They frustrate my husband. So glad Finn's eye infection is clearing up. We just returned from Boston and saw a lot of leaves turning in the Massachusetts mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best of luck with your quilting and binding. Have fun with that fabulous puzzle!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great quilting design! I'll have to remember that one. I love to sewing bindings. What can I say? I find it relaxing and satisfying.
    what a great puzzle! I'm the only puzzler here and its been a minute, maybe I'll set one up.

    ReplyDelete