Saturday, April 13, 2024

Sunflowers Cross Stitch (Finally!) Done.

I spent a few evenings this past week working on my Sunflowers cross stitch.  Finn likes to lie beside me on the couch while I am stitching.  When I got up to get a glass of water, he moved over to my spot... very helpful!


On Thursday evening, I added the last few stitches and gave it a good press.  TaDa!   I love how all of the bees and sunflowers look on the blue background.  I will take this in to be framed sometime in May.  The stitched part is about 11.5" by 11.5".


Last Summer, my husband and I went to Newfoundland for our vacation and saw lots of lupins in bloom. I purchased this counted cross stitch kit while we were there. This is a much smaller project than the sunflowers. I have prepped my Aida cloth by zig zagging the edge and sorted out the threads by colour.  I hope to start stitching tomorrow for Slow Sunday Stitching. 


Today, the Oxford Guild hosted a sewing day to work on a pattern chosen by the Vice President of the guild.  Being a rebel (haha!), I chose to work on a flannel vortex quilt to use up some of my flannel scraps.  I had cut up lots of pieces earlier in the week and put them in a clear plastic shoebox.  The larger bin where I keep my flannel scraps looks fuller than ever...I think I must have just fluffed everything up.  I sewed and pressed and trimmed and sewed and pressed and trimmed all day long.  I hope I have enough crumb blocks made now to make a baby quilt.  I had some blocks leftover from the last time I made one of these quilts--sort of like a sourdough starter but fabric.  The second picture shows the blocks I made today as well as the ones that were made before.  I will work on cobbling them together soon. I love this part of the process--it is like putting a puzzle together. 



We took Finn for lots of long walks this week.  He loves to walk at the park and on hiking trails but does not like to walk in our neighbourhood...



We went out for ice cream tonight.  Finn got his own bowl with a small amount of vanilla ice cream in it.  He loved it!  You could not tell that there was ever ice cream in the bowl by the time he was done. 


His face, however, was another story!


Our azalea bush has started to burst into bloom this week. 




The bloodroot was very pretty earlier in the week until it rained for two days, knocking all of the petals off  of the flowers. 


We watched the eclipse on Monday in our backyard, enjoying Eclipse Sundaes while we waited for the full eclipse.  


Finn was ready!  (Actually, we kept him in a shady spot in our gazebo--he was very happy to be outside with us!). 


Have a good week!  I will link up with Kathy in the morning. 

12 comments:

  1. I love your sunflower cross stitch. And your next project looks nice too. I love the colour of lupine but have never succeeded in growing them! It will match your lovely lupin quilt you made some time ago. Finn is so adorable. My dog always fills my space when I get up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this wonderful finish. I love the blue background. You are tempting me with the flannel. Now I want to play with flannel too. Finn is so photogenic. The lunar glasses picture is so cute. Enjoy your newest project. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the beautiful sunflower finish. I have enjoyed watching your progress. I love the lupine cross-stitch you are about to start. So pretty. Those blocks are going to make a great quilt. Love the Finn photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a pretty finish! And I also loved your Modern Sampler quilt finish in the last post. Always wonderful stitching happening at your place. Finn is so photogenic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sunflower project is so pretty! It's going to be gorgeous when framed. Sounds fun to be a rebel with your flannel scraps, lol! You never know what we quilters will get up to. Give that cute Finn a few scritches for all of us! He looks like a sweet companion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finish on your sunflower piece, I love it! I am usually a rebel too, and my flannel scraps keep growing and growing. Finn is so adorable and I can see he loves ice cream like I do! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty finish! That blue background really makes the sunflowers pop! I got a laugh out of your comment about your flannel scraps being like a "sourdough starter". It's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sunflower finish is so pretty, and your new ready to go stitching will be nice to work on, a holiday memory for you. Seekng the eclipse must have been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty embroidery! Your Sunflowers are beautiful, and they will look gorgeous once framed. The lupins are going to be another lovely embroidery project.
    Cute flannel blocks, a lot of fun prints in there!
    Photos of Finn are always adorable, whatever he does ;))
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cross stitch is amazing! Such a wonderful symmetrical pattern. The colors you chose dance on the background. I am not one to eat ice cream outside just yet: it is a little cooler here in Wisconsin. Love to see all your spring flowers. I just have daffodils right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Finn is the cutest ever in his glasses. My son's GF parents have a mini golden doodle named Finnigan. They are such sweet dogs.
    Your sunflowers are beautiful and those blocks look fun to make!
    lovely spring flowers - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete