Saturday, April 6, 2024

Modern Sampler Done!

I started making blocks for this modern sampler quilt in October 2020. I had to buy some of the gray background fabric for the blocks but the rest of the fabrics were in my stash--the white fabric has glasses on it and appears in every block.  All of the other fabrics have dots or lines on them in orange or blue and white. It took a year to make all of the blocks as it was a block of the month program.  I made one extra block so that I could set them as shown in the picture below. The blocks sat in a drawer for quite a while--I could not decide what colour of background fabric to use.  I took them to a quilt store in Stratford last fall and finally found something I liked--Navy blue solid.  The borders were completed in January and I pieced the back with leftovers and other fabrics from my stash and took it to the long armers who quilted it with organic wavy lines and random circles, as I requested.  And this week, it is done!  It will be used on the single bed in my daughter's old room.  






I'm happy to say that Finn approves as you can see by his waggy tail. 



While most of my hand stitching time this week was devoted to hand stitching the binding on the sampler quilt, I did manage to add some stitches to my Sunflowers as well. 


I have not shown a picture of my knitting recently--my scarf is now 23" long.  Hopefully, it will be done before next winter!


After a week of cold, wet weather, today was finally sunny and warm enough to spend some time outside on the front porch.  Finn looks like he is in jail here!  


I will link up with Kathy in the morning. I will be doing some cross stitch tomorrow for my slow Sunday stitching.  I will also link up with Frederique.

8 comments:

  1. Finn does love to relax doesn't he! such a cute dog. The quilting and stitching are so nice to look at

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a good feeling to have your modern sampler quilt finished. It is fabulous. The quilting looks so effective. Finn certainly looks as if he's enjoying the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quilt. Nice choice of quilting on it too. Finns tail is blurry, one happy dog! Enjoy the nice weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Modern Sampler is a beauty, Gail! Such interesting blocks. I really like the navy blue for the background and the border of squares. Great finish! Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the initial palette through to the choice of quilting motif, everything comes together in a cohesive theme. It will be the focal point of its new room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The modern BOM quilt with a navy background and spaced out squares is striking. The chosen quilting design is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is pretty in your modern sampler quilt! Cute prints, the blocks and border are lovely, great choice for the background fabric, and the orange binding is perfect! I can see why Finn loves it too ;) Your cross-stitching and knitting look good too.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about your modern sampler. what a great color pallet. So fresh and fun

    ReplyDelete