Friday, July 6, 2012

Progress towards some finishes...

My tumbler quilt is nearly done...
I added the orange (Kona Tangerine) outer border to this quilt top earlier this week and took it to my long arm quilters. He quilted it with hearts and stars and today, I picked it up. Tonight, I made the binding and got most of it hand sewn down...

My husband and quilt holder extraordinaire held it up for a picture before I did any hand sewing on the binding...


I wanted to take this picture outside and it might rain tomorrow, so it had to be done tonight. While watching a bit of TV (a show about quilts on PBS that my husband had recorded earlier in the week) tonight, I hand sewed the binding 3/4 of the way around the quilt before I got too tired to sew.

The binding is striped and the same material also shows up in some of the tumblers. I had hoped to deliver this quilt to my friend this weekend but she won't be home. I will try to deliver it one evening next week. My friend is having a rough patch health-wise and could use a warm hug and a reminder that I am thinking of her.

Christine and I got together earlier this week for an evening of sewing and visiting...  We both worked on our Mexican Stars wall-hangings...

I worked on finishing off the curved bits...

I love how the curves add movement to the design...

I have one more border to add and then I will be ready to take this one off to the quilter's house for some curvy quilting to accent the stars.

Christine made great progress on her wall-hanging too.

I saw Karen's finished flimsy earlier today as well and it looks great. Our guild, the London Friendship Quilters' Guild has a quilt show this fall and these wall hangings will all be there!

I also finished off the last border on my mystery quilt. I think I would like the finished quilt to be a bit bigger so I am trying to figure out an extra border to add using the material that I have leftover from the fat quarter bundle I have been using. I can't wait to show off this flannel quilt but that will have to wait until the Sept meeting of the guild when everyone who participated in the mystery quilt will be revealing their projects. I will be having this quilt quilted before the end of the summer as well.

I am trying hard to finish off some UFO's before I dig into another scrappy quilt with thousands of pieces...I am finding it hard to resist the scrappy quilt magnet!  Soon!  Soon!

5 comments:

  1. Your orange tumbler quilt is stunning...what a great colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mexican star wall hangings are beautiful. (previous comment was goofy because of the word completer function on my iPad)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a kind gift your tumbler quilt will be, definitely a loving hug!
    I like the Mexican Stars in progress, too. It has such interesting curves~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift...with an adorable striped binding!
    I'm sure that's just the "pick-me-up" that your friend needs.
    Can't wait to see how your mystery quilt turned out!

    ReplyDelete