Saturday, November 17, 2018

Another Baby Quilt


At last weekend's sewing day, I started making plus sign blocks with 30's prints for a baby quilt.  The pattern for the blocks came from Cheryl Brickey and Paige Alexander's book, Modern Plus Sign Quilts. In the book, they made a table runner with their blocks but I decided to make a baby quilt. 


There are two blocks from each print--I thought it would be fun to play a matching game with the quilt when the baby gets a bit older.  (There is no baby in mind for this quilt--it is another one of those baby quilts in waiting.)  When I put the blocks up on the design wall, I was not entirely happy with the way they looked...so I decided to add some strips of white fabric between the rows...


Much better!


I may or may not add white strips to the sides of the quilt...What do you think?  If I add the strips to the side, the backing fabric I have may not be wide enough.  Maybe, I could add narrower strips to the side so the backing is still wide enough... the jury is still out on this decision. I will continue to ponder. 


Grand-dog Finn had his first encounter with snow this week.  He liked it!  My daughter said it was hard to get his picture as he was tearing around in the snow and did not want to stop to sit for her to snap a pic. 


I did some more outlining on FLW this week.  The outlining in this section makes all those blank spots look more intentional.


I will be linking up with Kathy and the other Slow Sunday Stitchers on Sunday morning.  I will be doing more outlining tomorrow...

15 comments:

  1. looks like the dog really enjoys the snow - my daughters dogs do too and some dogs you have to almost drag outside to do their business and they are ready to come back in immediately

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grand dog looks like a hardy soul in that snow...what fun--dogs do love to play in the snow...
    I think your cross quilt turned out beautifully...great idea for a "matching play"...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for a white border so the center actually floats~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute photo of snowy Finn!
    I vote for a white border also, and then maybe a column of plus blocks down the middle of the backing to make it wider?
    Enjoy your slow stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is really nice! And playing the matching game never gets old -- I remember playing that with my kids (not on a quilt though:o). I agree with the above about adding a white border. I love how your cross stitch is looking. Back stitching makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. White sides and plus blocks down the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree on a white border. Could you extend the backing with a strip or two of 30s print?

    And the FLW is coming right along. I agree that the white space defined really brings that part of the design together.

    Cute pup! He looks fluffy enough for winter weather!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of a matching game! I like Kathy's idea - add the white and then a row of fun plusses on the back to make your backing a little wider. Good luck. Love doggies playing in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The baby quilt is so pretty. Love the sweet 1930's fabrics. I like the thought of adding a white strip to the side; you can always add a strip of contrasting fabric to the backing. Your cross stitch is coming along nicey....AND....oh what a sweet dog is Finn....snow rather becomes him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the plus sign quilt. FLW is looking great. Finn is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute picture of Finn. My dog loves the snow! Not that we get much here in the south of England. Your baby quilt is lovely. I think I would add a white border to each side. If the back is then too small I would add a contrast strip off centre! But what ever you decide it will be much appreciated by who ever receives it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the grandog's photo!!! What fun. Your plus quilt is adorable. I have tons of plus blocks in a tub. I have not decided how to put them together yet. Thanks for the inspiration. LOVE your work on the slow Sunday stitching project. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love me a plus quilt and this one is no exception. I like the addition of the white strips between the rows but I don't think you need to add white strips to the sides. It's fine the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like the block pattern; layouts & colors. Going to give it a try to use up my leftovers!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the arrangement and the matching game idea! The quilt will be a great ADDITION to the nursery!

    ReplyDelete