Saturday, June 8, 2019

This Week's Projects

This week's theme is home. I spent most of my sewing time this week working on houses for the next border of "Coming Home".  You can see that I fussy cut some bunnies for the middle of my liberated star house.  I had paper pieced 24 roofs for the houses a couple of weeks ago in preparation for house construction. 


Here is my first of four rows of houses in process.  The green tape on each house has a number on it to help keep things in the right order.  Doors and windows will be added by hand applique when I get all of the house borders put together.


I have two rows of houses done and the third is just about finished.  I am having fun building the neighbourhood, one house at a time. 


For the last week or so, my husband and I have been spending much of our "spare" time fixing our flagstone paths in the backyard.  This before picture shows how bad they looked...


This involved lifting each stone, digging out all of the soil, weeds and debris around each one and then placing the stones back down again, followed by the addition of stone dust with cement in it in all the cracks between the flagstones.  After sweeping the stone dust into the cracks, we watered it with the hose to get he cement to activate and harden.  This picture shows our progress...


Our goal was to finish off the paths by the end of the day today.  Goal accomplished!


This narrow path goes through our garden and it was today's project.  It was still wet when I took this picture.


We have ordered mulch for all of the gardens and it will be here this week so that is next on the agenda.  In the meantime, there are weeds to pull and tulips and daffodils to cut back before the mulch can be added.   Also, some new plants may have been purchased at the garden centre today so they need to be planted too.

I did some outlining on my Frank Lloyd Wright counted cross stitch window this week in the car on our way to Stratford where we saw Billy Elliott.   The outlining is starting to define the shapes in that lower left corner of the picture.


Finn is enjoying his walks now that the weather is warmer and it is light later in the evenings.


I will be linking up with Kathy in the morning.

6 comments:

  1. love your row of houses and your paved walk

    ReplyDelete
  2. That flagstone path is beautiful and I appreciate the hard work it must have taken to make it look that way. Wow. FLW is coming together. So pretty. I like those houses too. What an interesting border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely are your houses for the borders of our Coming Home project. Those bunnies are cute. Love your winding flagstone path and the flowers bordering it are so pretty. Summer and weeds....the seem to be the best of friends, don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Coming Home project, it really is beautiful and the houses make a lovely border. You have worked hard on the flagstone paths but they look good and its always nice to tick a task off the to do list!! FLW looking good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Coming Home quilt is wonderful... such cute little houses...and I an envious of you flagstone paths and garden... I know it was a lot of work to repair the walks but they look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are wonderful houses filled with whimsy. I am in awe of your gardening work as mine is very full of weeds.

    ReplyDelete