Saturday, September 14, 2019

Embroidery, Cross Stitch and a Quilt Show

This past week, I have worked on a number of hand and machine stitching projects, including shortening of two pairs of dress pants for a family member, making of two blocks (including embroidery) for the London Modern Quilt Guild QuiltCon 2020 charity quilt, and prepping a demonstration of curved piecing on Drunkard's Path blocks for today's Modern Guild Meeting.  The one project which did not get any stitches this week was my Frank Lloyd Wright counted cross stitch, but I am including a picture of its current status as an incentive to myself to get back to work on this one this week. Most of the cross stitching is done--lots of outlining still to go. 


I made two letter blocks for the LMQG charity quilt:  A and T.  QuiltCon 2020 will be in Texas and the organizing committee has chosen colours (black, white and various shades of grey) and a theme (Text) for this year's charity quilts.  Many guilds from around the world each make a quilt and then they will all be on display at the show.


The embroidery on the T block is all backstitch with three strands of floss. I used a lazy daisy stitch to make each of the leaves on the tree of the A block. 


Many guild members are involved in making blocks for this project.  The blocks will be assembled at our next meeting in October.  It was fun to see all of the blocks as they were handed in today at the beginning of the meeting.

Last weekend was our first ever quilt show at Grosvenor Lodge in London, Ontario.  Our colour challenge quilts were displayed around the porch on three sides of the building.



My quilt is the one on the right in the picture below.


I had three other quilts in the show...


Gail's Garden - started at a stitch and flip class with Jacquie Gering a few years ago and just finished recently for the show. 


Top:  Scrappy Appliqué Squirrel - made at a class with Shannon Brinkley. 
Bottom: My version of a pattern by Jen Kingswell. 


When I got home from the show, look who arrived for a visit!  Finn and my daughter!  They have gone home now but we had lots of fun playing with Finn and going for a long walk every day they were here.  

I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. 

10 comments:

  1. My favorite of the quilts is Gails Garden, so carefree. I hadn't realized before you said, it's flippy corners! How cool is that! I'm always impressed with people who stitch counted cross stitch, that takes more detail than I have the patience for. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your version of the Jen Kingswell quilt. Great color graduation. Finn! What a cute pic. Hope you had a nice visit with your daughter. What a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those minis look wonderful on that porch! Love your version of the Jen Kingswell quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way those quilts were displayed on the porch. That looks like a fun show. Gail's Garden is very pretty and as usual Finn is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilts look great on display! I shall look forward to seeing the charity quilt in its entirety too. And I just want to cuddle Finn! Not sure how my lola would feel about that but I'm willing to chance her displeasure! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all those little quilts on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely place for a quilt show! You have been busy!
    Enjoy your slow stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt show! I love Gail’s Garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilts are beautiful and what a lovely way the show displayed ALL the quilts. So nice to see Finn again too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love that Gails Garden...looked closely to see how it was done. All your quilts are clever! Meanwhile, what a cutie that Finn is!

    ReplyDelete