Friday, January 17, 2020

Sewing This Week

Monday sewing days are very productive!  I had my spinning 4 patch top done to this point before I left home and managed to get both borders made and sewn on by shortly after lunch. 


I had limited blue fabric to work with so that dictated how wide the blue border would be.


I used some of the Kaffe Fassett "Millefiore" fabric that I had leftover from the spinning blocks to make the final border.


Next up, pin basting, and then quilting with my walking foot.  The backing fabric was in my stash.


I even used my bowl cozy at the sewing day at lunch time.  Worked well--I did not burn my hands!

In the afternoon, I made February's Comfort quilt block for the Elgin Piecemakers: a red and White House block.  It's a split level, made with scraps from the red scrap bin!



After building my house, I put my machine away and pulled out my embroidery.  It's so relaxing to add more slow stitches to this picture!  I will be linking up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers this weekend.


I still have not done that scalloped edge on the roof of the house...soon.




I signed up to participate in the Modern Quilt Guild "Make a Mini, Make a Friend" swap again this year.  The finished quilt is to be mailed out in three weeks.  Ideas for a design have been floating around in my head for a few weeks now and yesterday, I finally put the design down on paper and picked out some fabrics.  This project will be my focus during sewing time for the next little while. Here is a sneak peak.  The big reveal will be after my swap partner receives her quilt.


The Elgin Piecemakers meet next week.  Pat P and I will be making the May Comfort quilt and so I made a sample block --Double Disappearing Nine Patch (pattern by Bill Stearman--used with permission for the Comfort Quilt) using some batiks I had in my stash.  We will be giving each person in the guild two squares of the focus fabric for colour inspiration when choosing fabrics.


I'm heading for the sewing room now to work on the swap quilt!

12 comments:

  1. Your spinning 4 patch is wonderful and the choice of the kaffe fabric is inspiring. Your little split level is also sweet. AS is your embroidery as well. Such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like your new quilt top. The fabric is gorgeous! The blue sets it off beautifully. Your sweet embroidery is lovely again the colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun liberated house! Your embroidery is so lovely. lots of fun projects here to see

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spinning four patch is all about the fabric isn't it? Looking forward to your modern quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spinning 4 patch is wonderful. I love the way it turned out. That tree on your embroidery is so whimsical and pretty. I can't believe how much you can get done so quickly. Love the red house. I am looking forward to seeing that swap mini.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the spinning four patch - it makes the most of that KF fabric. And your embroidery is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many nice projects this week. Millefiore goes nicely with the blue. The red & white house is mod and similar to a F L Wright house. Possibly a soon finish on embroidery as it is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great projects, and love your little house block!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a charming house stitchery! Love your split level house - so fun. Those bowl cozies are wonderful.... we use the one we have a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your embroidery! All of the pieced blocks are so pretty - you sure get a lot done! https://stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com/ . I added the link to my blog because blogger is not letting me sign in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your little red and white split level house. Gosh your embroidery is lovely. Love the sweet design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My, your embroidery is exquisite! What beautiful work!! :)

    ReplyDelete