Friday, January 3, 2020

Slow Stitching During the Holidays

We had a quiet morning at our house yesterday.  Finn had a nap while my daughter read a book and I did some embroidery.  The Christmas tree lights were on--yes--it is still up but will come down soon. I have finally added some more colours to my embroidery project and I have learned some new stitches as well.  This one is called the buttonhole bar stitch. 


Here is the finished flower.


I finished the star stitches in the tree trunk.


Then, it was on to some of the lazy daisy leaves on the branches.


The other new stitch I tried for the first time was the buttonhole wheel stitch in the centre of this circle.  The circle itself is stem stitch.


It doesn't look like a lot is done yet, but the embroiderers out there will know that this represents several hours of stitching.  


We had a couple of inches of snow the other day and Finn had a great time frolicking in it!  He had lots of snowballs in his curly hair when he came inside.


This lens ball is a new toy that I received for Christmas. Here is my first attempt at taking a picture through it.  I will continue to experiment. 


My daughter added some more stitches to her feathers this week as well.  It will be fun to see this come to life with the colourful threads in the kit. 


I will be linking up with Kathy and the crew of slow stitchers on Sunday morning.   I have been thinking about goals for 2020 and one of them is to learn how to knit.  I once made most of a yellow scarf when I was 8 but never finished it.  That was the last time I used knitting needles.  My friends, Pat and Cathy, have offered to help get me back into knitting again.  I received some wool and a gift certificate to the local knitting shop for Christmas so hope to get started on a project soon.

Happy New Year, everyone!

11 comments:

  1. I had wanted to learn how to knit again for ages after only making a scarf or two years ago and I was amazed at how fast it came back to me and I am enjoying it for me it goes slow crochet goes much faster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...I've tried to knit so many times...and am just not good at it. I stitch wayyyyy too tight. LOL! But oh I'm so happy for stitching:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we lived closer, I'd give you a hand in your knitting too. I love to knit, right up there with embroidering. Your project is coming along wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. for some reason all of my emails that I send to you do not go through - I don't know if anyone else has trouble contacting you but I wanted to let you know that I do try to answer you when you leave a comment on my blog or send me a message but I can never get a reply back to you for about a month now. I'm not ignoring your comments :) and have no trouble sending anyone else a reply

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some detailed stitches you are learning. I like the addition of colors as it gives the piece more interest. Great photo of Finn romping in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely holiday full of fun and stitching!
    Such a fun project to hand stitch on wood!
    Enjoy your hand stitching today... I enjoy knitting, but love quilting more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, I'm so excited that you will try knitting!!! I can't wait to hear of your new adventure with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. New sewing stitches and learning to knit, you will be busy in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a nice project to add different types of stitches to and yes it is surprising how long it can take! Good luck with your knitting too. Finn is having a ball in that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS I meant to say I hadn't realised how large the feathers were on your daughters latest project!

    ReplyDelete