Saturday, May 23, 2020

Binding, Quilting, and Two New Quilts Started

Since I have finished 4 quilts in the last few weeks, I thought I could give myself permission to start a couple of new projects.  (Even though I still have lots of UFO's that I should be working on!). These house blocks are a free pattern from Cluck Cluck Sew.  I have a half yard of the lighter fabric and have pulled lots of fabrics in the colours found in that fabric to make houses and backgrounds.  I will use all of the fabrics as both houses and backgrounds.  I plan to add some words to this quilt...stay tuned. I have made two blocks so far--I will need 72 for a lap sized quilt.


I have had a red, black and white jelly roll in my stash for years and decided to make a quilt using it and some Essex Linen that is in my stash to make a hexagon quilt. Here is the first block, not sewn together yet.


My friend, Christine, and I are making a quilt for families affected by the shooting in Nova Scotia a few weeks ago.  We each made 14 blocks and then Christine sewed them together.  She handed the flimsy off to me along with some backing fabric and I did the organic wavy line quilting.


I finished the quilting last night and today, gave her the quilt and some potential binding fabric.  She hopes to finish the binding this weekend and then we will mail the quilt to the Maritime Modern Guild early next week for distribution to the families.


I hope the recipient feels the love that we put into every stitch.  The heart block pattern is from Jaybird Quilts. 


Here is the backing fabric:


For my slow stitching this week, I hand stitched the binding on two quilts which will be gifted shortly, so you will have to wait to see pictures. 


My Canada 150 tulips are blooming right now.  I planted these a few years ago to commemorate our country's special birthday in 2017. 




These blue flowers are in the garden at the side of my house.  I think my daughter planted these bulbs when she was 7 years old and they have come up every year since then.


I bought a new plant for my perennial garden last summer and it is now in bloom...problem is that I can't remember what it is called...anyone out there know???


Have a great week, from Finn and I!


You can check to see what the Slow Sunday Stitching community is up to over at Kathy's blog.

14 comments:

  1. You have such lovely fabrics! I can see already the red white and black hexie will make a stunning quilt. Your combined Nova Scotia project with your friend is lovely and I think it will bring huge comfort to someone. Your flower photos are so pretty. We normally take lots of walks in late April to see the bluebell woods but of course couldn't this year, still there is always next year. I've no idea what your last plant is, lovely colour and delicate looking. You and Finn have a great week too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peachy flower is an oriental poppy - very pretty! You may have seen bright red oriental poppies around, so this is a nice variation. I love the heart quilt! And what a nice joint project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought too...but the seed pod is very different. I found a pic of a Geum plant that looks closer.

      Delete
  3. I love the houses. The fabric in the middle is so cute! And the blue hearts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are apps that allow you to take a pic of your plant and then it identifies them. Love the heart quilt and what a perfect collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the quilting but so love those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The heart block quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the heart quilt. Great pic of you and Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great projects, the heart quilt is lovely! Love your beautiful flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet Heart Quilt you & your friend made. Truly what friendship is all about! Your flowers are beautiful. Love the 150 tulip, so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. https://www.perennials.com/plants/geum-flames-of-passion.html
    very nice flowers.Your plants Look like the ones in this picture. I was curious, they are part of the rose family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely thoughtful donation quilt made by you and your friend, it will surely be loved and appreciated. It's always exciting to start a new project no matter how many UFOs and waiting impatiently! And I love your glorious Canadian tulip, such a special flower to have in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such fun photos on your blog post! I love the idea of your tag team project with Christine! Love the flower photos and seeing you with Finn! Enjoy your binding today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Organic wavy/curvy quilting looks great on that quilt. I think the backing is perfect. So many beautiful flowers especially the Canadian tulips. Breathtaking. Hope you got lots of binding done.

    ReplyDelete