Friday, May 8, 2020

Snowflakes in May

Yes.  You read that correctly.  Today, we had snow flurries.  In May!!!  I even wore my winter jacket, mitts and a hat this morning on my walk.  In May.   It can be cool here at this time of year but it has been many years since I remember having snow in May.

Speaking of snow, my snowflake quilt is done!


The quilting was done by Julie, a local long arm quilter and is a snowflake pantograph.


Finn assisted with the hand stitching of the binding...


Sometimes, he was not quite so helpful!


The backing fabric was purchased from the Quilt Kitchen in Exeter.  I called several quilt shops looking for some red and white snowflake fabric for the backing---this is not the time of year to be looking for snowflake fabric.  Luckily, the Quilt Kitchen had some on their sale shelf and she shipped it out to me right away.  It's perfect!  I sent her a picture of the quilt top to show her what it was going to be used for.


The red and white striped binding was in my stash, leftover from binding my tree skirt I made a couple of Christmases ago. You can see a wide variety of red fabrics were used in this quilt.

Finn also assisted with the photoshoot this morning as the snowflakes swirled around us.  It was unfortunate that my snowflake quilt was not the only snowflake outside this morning!


I am currently quilting my gray, turquoise and white quilt I showed a few posts back.  I hope to get back to it now that the snowflake quilt is done. The heart quilt top for Nova Scotia is put together now (by Christine) and I will be quilting it after this one is done.  I will post a picture of it next week.


I have three new types of daffodils in bloom this week as the first ones fade.





Daffodils are my favourite spring flower.


The tulips in the front yard just started blooming in the last day or two.


Finn enjoyed his after dinner walks this week.    I will be linking up with Kathy and the slow Sunday stitchers on Sunday morning.

20 comments:

  1. I hope your daffodils and tulips survive the cold mine usually do when we get snow or really cold weather in February and March when they bloom here - it is cold here in Arkansas so in the evenings this week - way below normal. Love your snowflake quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your snowflake quilt is just beautiful--great finish--congratulations!!
    Cold here, too--33 this morning...so far no snow just very cold rain coming down and windy...ugh...not my idea of May weather
    Stay safe ~ ~ ~ waving with mittens on Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your snowflake quilt! I love that you used red as the main color. And how appropriate to see it this morning when we woke up to about 3" of wet stuff on top of our lilac buds (I live in VT).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post! I did buy the Snowflake pattern after seeing your's on social media the other day. I love your backing, too, and I always love a striped binding! I keep forgetting to plant daffodils in the Fall, so last week I asked a gardening friend if she was splitting any up this year, could I have a few bulbs. Well, didn't she get 6 different varieties potted up for me right away...so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had quite the snow flurries here this morning while sewing together with friends on facebook messenger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gail, your snowflake quilt is absolutely beautiful. I do love a red and white quilt. Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Snowflake quilt is gorgeous. Love all those red and white patterned fabrics and the backing is perfect. Daffodils are such pretty spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Snowflake quilt. That backing fabric is perfect. You couldn't have done better shopping in person. We had a couple of snow squalls here yesterday also. I love the way Finn "helps" you. My daughter brought her pup, Ruby, to have a visit with her in-laws and their dog, Darby. Her MIL was missing Ruby. Ruby will stay a few days there. I love daffodils. Your tulips are such a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that snowflake quilt and the backing is perfect! Finally, no snow on the ground here this morning. It has been very cold up here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love your snowflake quilt! So not impressed with snow in May though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Evidently, the May snow flurries crossed the border. Appropriate snowflake accompanied a spring snow. I'm working on a red & white quilt also. Cute cuddly quilt helper! Pretty flower photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great timing on your finish! We woke up to snow for the past couple of days and may get a few more flurries today, but hopefully that will be the end of it. Bring on the sun! I absolutely love your backing fabric. In my book, it couldn't be any more perfect. Love that you were able to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your snowflake quilt is gorgeous. Your backing fabric is perfect! We have been in the 90's this past week. I guess it will be a little cooler today, 81.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's certainly not so warm in the south of England today but they have had snow in Scotland over night! Your snow flake quilt is really nice, I love red and white quilts. The backing fabric was a lucky find and is spot on as is the great stripe fabric for the binding! Terrific finish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Snow in May just a part of living in Northern Ontario I guess. I lived in Kapuskasing for a few years..so I know about snow in sumer months too!Love your snowflake quilt...was it a pattern or did you create the pattern yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great quilt! Sorry about the real snowflakes - maybe they just like the quilt so much they wanted it to feel useful? Pretty spring flowers blooming - good thing they are hearty. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your quilt. I am working on a winter snowflake quilt that needs to be bound. We too had snow this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have seen that snowflake pattern and it’s nice with all the reds.
    Pretty dafs and tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your snowflake quilt is beautiful. I can't believe it's snowing in May though! I've never seen daffodils like the first two photos. They are fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always like a striped binding....really like the snowflake quilt!

    ReplyDelete