Saturday, May 2, 2020

Weekly Report from the Sewing Room

There were some changes in my plans this week... When I tried to get the right size of knitting needles for my next cloth pattern, the local knitting store was sold out.  I have my name on the list to get them when they arrive from the distributor, but like many shipments these days, things are taking a little longer to arrive.  In the meantime, I wanted to knit something, so I made another simple dish cloth using blue variegated yarn. 


Here is my completed project, just finished today.


Blue was the theme colour of my week as I used a blue 30's print as the border for my farm girl vintage blocks.  The first knitting picture above shows a close up of the fabric.  Here is the second quilt top.   I added some embroidery to the barns on both quilts and made the backings...these are ready to take to the long arm quilter's house.


Christine and I were talking this week and decided that we would make a quilt for the Maritime Modern Guild to give to people affected by the shooting tragedy in Nova Scotia two weeks ago.  She and I are each making 14 blocks like this, in all different blue fabrics with a white background.  Nova Scotia's flag is blue and white.


This heart pattern is from Jaybird Quilts and is available for free on her website.  I used her Hex 'n more and Sidekick rulers to cut out the pieces for the block.

Here is my selection on fabrics I will be using for my blocks.


I just happened to have a piece of Nova Scotia tartan in my stash which will be perfect for one of the hearts in our quilt. I managed to get all of the heart halves cut out this morning and will cut out the backgound pieces tomorrow. These blocks are quick and easy to sew together.  We will sew our love and support into each and every block.


Finn continues to enjoy the sunshine and warmer temperatures.  He would spend all day every day outside if we let him.


As long as the weather is favourable, I am managing to get out for a long walk at least once a day.  This week, I saw some turtles sunning themselves on a log in a pond near the walking trail I was on.


I have a quilt being quilted right now and two more will be going to the long arm quilter's soon.  I purchased backing for the gray and turquoise quilt today as well as more thread--I have been doing a lot of sewing lately and have burned through a whole spool of white thread recently (1000m).  There should be some finishes to show shortly.

My daughter has finished cross stitching another cityscape--this one is Washington, DC.  We were there in 2008 during the March Break for a few days.  She has ordered more threads, Aida cloth and a few more patterns to work on next. I remember visiting all of these buildings when we were in Washington.  (She did not have one colour that she needed for this picture, but it is in her thread order so she will add it when it arrives.)  I think her stitching looks fabulous!



I will be linking up with Kathy and the Slow stitchers in the morning.  I will try to do some cross stitching on the next Linen and Thread ornament at some point tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Those dish cloths are fun and I love using them. I picked up some sock yarn and hope to find a good book on sock knitting as my next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you are staying busy. Don't you love seeing the turtle sunning - your warm weather shouldn't be far behind. Love the stitchery. I have not made dish cloths. I should to practice stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice of you and Christine are making a joint quilt. Thanks for sharing the pattern link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann Budd's sock book is super. Easy to understand; that's how I learned by myself. Cover is white and yellow hardcover. The book is upstairs or I would tell you the title! Let me know if you need more info. Good luck! sharon at sharonstroud dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful projects! I love all your blue fabrics and that is such a wonderful project you are working on. I also enjoy knitting dishcloths - a friend gave me a bunch of baby yarn and so I am knitting a baby blanket using the dishcloth pattern. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects. Love your blue fabrics! Blue is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finn is so gorgeous! Your little quilts are really nice and those blue hearts will be greatly appreciated I'm sure. Your daughters cross stitch is lovely, I like her thread colour choices and it looks really smooth and even.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hearts are lovely. What a nice thing to do. I'm sure the quilts will be loved very much.

    Love the cross stitch - i've nearly finished my Shanghai one

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for reminding me I have a dish cloth started somewhere! Love that pattern. Your quilt is adorable and your daughters stitchery is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog post made me feel so happy! I love that turtle photo... what an amazing thing to see! And it is so awesome that you and Christine are making a quilt for Nova Scotia. I was born in Nova Scotia and their loss is so heartbreaking on so many levels. I have some of that tartan also.
    Thanks for sharing your daughter's stitching... very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete