Saturday, December 5, 2020

Gift Making

This has been a busy week with not very much time spent in my sewing room.  I did manage to make a zippered pouch as a gift for a swap with one of my guilds. I need to get this in the mail this week so it had a deadline!  The pattern is from Noodlehead...I have made several of these pouches as gifts over the last few years.  I don't even need to look at the instructions anymore!  



 I have a stash of zippers in various colours for these pouches so I am always ready to make a quick gift. The person receiving this pouch does not read my blog. I have a few secret projects going on in the sewing room at the moment that cannot be shared yet...

The facecloth that I started last week is just about done.  I did a bit of knitting every day this week. You can see from the picture that I also managed to do some Christmas decorating as well. 


Finn has been helping my daughter with her blackwork/counted cross stitch again this week.  He likes to guard her thread stash...


Her bee stitchery is nearing completion with only 2 1/2 hexagons to go!


We had some snow earlier in the week (it's all melted now). I go for a socially distanced walk with a friend at a local park most days and it was just beautiful with all of the snow clinging to the branches of the trees and bushes. 



Over the past few months, I have been taking pictures of quilts made by the members of the Elgin Piecemakers Guild so that I could put together a Power Point presentation for the Oxford Guild.  The EP group has 20 members and the pictures were taken at various interesting spots around our area.  The presentation was this past Thursday night --I must say that presenting on Zoom is nothing like presenting in person.  The "audience" all had their microphones on mute and I could not see them while I was showing my slides and talking about them.  I felt like I was just sitting and talking to myself, unsure if anyone out there was listening...  I did hear from several members of the guild at the end of the talk and the next day by email and telephone call to say that they had enjoyed seeing the sights and the quilts I had shared.  My husband took my pictures at the Elgin County Railway Museum.  





The quilts have all been shown on my blog before.  

1.  My neutral swap blocks quilt. 

2.  Elgin Piecemakers Music challenge. 

3.  Selvage Spools quilt made at the Beaver Island Quilt retreat. 

4.  Memory quilt for my husband, made with his father's shirts. 

The Elgin Piecemakers are a very talented group of quilters, with diverse interests.  This was a fun project for me!

I'm hoping for a bit more productive week in the sewing room this week.  Thanks for stopping by!  Take care and stay safe.  I will link up with Kathy in the morning. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh Finn is a cute helper! That pouch looks great and it's wonderful when you love (and have used) a pattern so much that you know all the steps without needing for follow along. Gorgeous quilts and they look great against the train backdrops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures and gorgeous quilts. Finn seems to be a great companion, so cute! Facecloth is almost done and it's pretty.
    Enjoy the outside walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all the quilts and your hexie/bee stitchery is so nice. Love seeing the snow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the photo shoot with the trains is awesome. Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those pouches - they do make great gifts! Your photo shoot at the train museum turned out nicely. That looks like a fun setting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finn is such a great thread guarder! He looks like he takes his job seriously. Lovely pouch and quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilts and the glimpse of the railroad museum. We have one of those old engines on display at the state of Kansas Museum as well. Makes a dramatic backdrop for sure. Finn as the 'thread guardian' makes me smile. My Molly pup used to nab my floss bobbins occasionally; she never nibbled on them, but man were they slobbery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finn looks so cute guarding those threads. I have saved patterns for pouches over the years but never gotten around to making any hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun setting for the photo shoot! The quilts are beautiful! How nice of the members to let you know how much they appreciated your efforts. I often try to remember to thank my guild board for what they do. After all, the pay is zilch! But a few kind words are worth their weight in gold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely winter wonderland photos!
    And that photo of Finn made me giggle... he's such a "help"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Zoom presentation sounds like a fun one to see. I too struggle with leading Zoom meetings with my troop and have mostly opted out of doing it so far... Finn looks like a great helper and those hexagons are amazing. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bee stitching project, that is so cool. Good luck with all your secret sewing, it can be a challenge to get much done this time of year. The Zoom meeting format has it's good points and bad points, but at least the group you presented it too liked it. We've been doing virtual presentations/meetings since late March. On the one hand people like it because if they don't like doing presentations and hate being up in front of a group, it's not so obvious in a virtual meeting. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what great quilt photos. I love interesting locations and the trains are awesome. I'm sure they enjoyed your talk and it does take getting used to speaking on zoom.
    Pretty knitting and pouch.
    Finn is so cute!

    ReplyDelete