Saturday, December 25, 2021

Some Gifts Revealed!

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!  Happy Holidays!  I am taking a few moments away from working on a new puzzle with my husband and our daughter to write my weekly blogpost.  Finn is curled up on the floor in front of me.  It is so nice to have them home.  (our daughter tested negative for COVID before coming to visit) We have had a quiet day at home...it rained in the morning and we took Finn for a walk after it stopped.  

I wanted to share some Christmas gifts that I made for some friends.  I dug into my very large selvage collection and sorted some of them by colour before making many hot pads.  I had a couple of pieces of insul-brite which I cut into squares (and one rectangle). I kept making them until I ran out of insul-brite!  Here are a few pictures of my creations: 








I ended up giving all of the hot pads away and did not keep any for myself.  I will have to buy some more insul-brite and make a few for me!  I have no shortage of selvages to use to make them!

I knit a hat for my daughter and finished it just on time for Christmas!  It fits well and will keep her warm when she is out walking Finn. 


I finally finished the snowflake dishcloth too.  I made a counting error in one row and did not notice until 2.5 rows later.  Un-knitting is not fun.  The snowflake does not show up as well as I had hoped, but that's ok. 


Another hat underway...


I added black binding to the modern snowflake but in the flurry of knitting, I did not get it all hand sewn yet.  This will be a project for the next few days. I have to work on it in good light as black thread on black fabric is not easy to see!


Finn has a new squeaky toy which he really likes.  We know exactly where he is when he is playing with it!  He wore himself out with all the excitement today. 


Books are a popular gift at our house.  Here are this year's book stacks.  The first one belongs to my husband.  The second is my daughter's and the last one is mine.  I have lots of reading to do!





I will link up with all of the other Slow Sunday Stitchers at Kathy's blog in the morning.  I hope to work on the snowflake binding tomorrow. 
 

18 comments:

  1. we love reading here too but we use our kindles most of the time - it looks like you have a lot of reading to do! glad you had a good visit with your daughter you made lots of lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a nice selection of books to kick off the new year!
    I love your selvage hotpads. I usually make them at random, but since I have a lot saved up, I think I'll try separating them by color now, too. Thanks for the good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the hotpads are very cute, sure your friends loved the gift you made for them. Looks like you have a lot of books to read! Great to hear you had a wonderful Christmas time.
    Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE all the hot pads. What a super idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love getting and giving books as gifts. Sadly, I didn't get any this year. I was not organized enough to think about what I might like. I love those hotpads and I put insulbrite in my shopping cart. I need a few more myself. Finn looks completely happy sleeping with his new toy. The had you made for your daughter looks quite cozy. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much eye candy to enjoy :)
    Love the photo of tired Finn!
    And the selvage mats are fabulous...such an array of beautiful colours!
    And oohhhh the book photos! Delicious hours of enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love our hotpads! What a great way to use selvages and also perfect for gifts! Fun to see your piles of books, too. I've been reading The Reading List (in your pike) and really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In your *list!* Don't know where the word pike came from...😖

      Delete
  8. Those selvage hotpads are so pretty. You have some lucky friends! When I was over at my son's house, we had some 'played out' doggos, too. New toys and new books are fun! I got a gift card for the bookstore. I'll have new books shortly LOL. Sounds like we both had lovely holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pretty and colorful hot pads. Great gifts . Finn is precious ; I bet he had a grand day. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hot pads, they are such lovely colors! Great reading stacks too, all of them! Finn does look tuckered out! Happy Holidays, and stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such great hot mats (I should really make some too!) and love the snowflake dish cloth. Quite a stack of books to keep you entertained! I admit I have a stack of books from my MIL but I keep doing audio books on my phone lately rather than handling a book. They are there when I need to turn pages though. Enjoy your weekend with your daughter. Finn does look tuckered out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas! Working with selvedges is fun, and you certainly made a lot of hot pads. Nothing beats a bood book, have to admit I'm not ready for kindle reading, I like a book in my hands and turning the pages in anticipation! We are staying at my daughters home over Christmas and their dog got a squeaky toy too, a pink pjg. But by the end of the day it was chewed to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did so well with all those mug rugs/hot pads and using up selvedges...reminded me that I have a bunch saved up too. I was interested in seeing those book titles. Fin sleeping, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those hot pads were a great use of your selvage scraps. Nice work! I hope you will link them with the December 2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge on my blog. There's also an update about the Challenge for 2022 in a tab just below the header. All are welcome to join!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH! How I love receiving handmade gifts and your pot holders are so colorful and pretty! I once read on a bag from Barns and Noble a quote that went something like this: My best friend is one who give me a book I haven't read. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pot holders are excellent! That's an impressive stack of books. I see my favourite author on the top of your pile. Merry Christmas to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an impressive creator you are! One question: is the insulbrite between two layers of batting?

    ReplyDelete