Saturday, March 12, 2022

Two Quilt Backs and Some Knitting.

I tackled one of my least favourite parts of making a quilt this past week, not once but twice!  Some people don't like hand stitching the binding but for me the worst task is piecing the backing.  My lupin quilt used 8 yards of fabric for the backing and wrestling all of that fabric through the machine while trying to keep it all from falling on the floor is not fun. BUT, it's done now and ready to take to the long arm quilter's house.  Phew!


A group of friends is participating in our own little UFO challenge.  Getting my lupin quilt ready for the long armer was my February project.  For March, I am hoping to get this quilt to the finish line.  I make the backing this week from fabric that was in my stash. I had to insert a chunk of pink fabric leftover from the front into the backing to make it big enough. There's only three yards of fabric in this backing so it was not such a chore to get the backing made. I made the quilt top last year as part of the Colour Blocks challenge with Debby Brown on Facebook. I pin basted the quilt today on the kitchen floor so it is ready for walking foot quilting this week when the mood strikes.  I have several ideas for quilting floating around in my head and need to settle on one before I get started.  




My Shweshwe HST quilt top is done and I am in search of a suitable backing fabric, preferably from the stash.  I have already decided how this one will be quilted so hopefully, the backing fabric will appear from the depths soon. 


I made a mistake in my hat that I am knitting and could not figure out how to fix it so I ended up ripping all of it out and starting again.  I have made good progress and hope to finish the hat this coming week. I should be able to wear it this year as we still have some days that are cold enough for a hat when I go walking every morning, especially if it is a bit windy. I have a few hats that each work well in different temperature ranges to keep me warm. 


Our daughter sat on the couch to do some work this week so Finn snuggled up with his head on her shoulder to supervise.  He is an excellent neck warmer. 


The first sign of Spring in our garden:  the witch hazel is in bloom, even though it was snowing the day I took this picture. 


I will link up with Kathy and the slow Sunday stitchers in the morning. 

13 comments:

  1. Both binding and preparing the backing is equally a not fun task for me. =) Love that colourful backing you pieced together. How marvellous your Lupin is nearing the finishing line. Pity about undoing the hat, but you will have it finished in no time. Who needs a neck warmer or indeed a scarf, when you have a pup such as Finn...so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind the binding. It is the sandwiching of the layers that gets to me. I like the backing you chose for the pink/black quilt. I am looking forward to seeing how you quilt it. Would love to see your daughter's stitchery that adorable Finn is supervising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have even seen a witch hazel plant much less in bloom - I don't think I even knew what it looked like. I don't care for sewing the backing either so try to only buy wide backs - it is amazing how often you can find them on sale and sometimes they are actually cheaper to buy then say 8-9 yards of regular width if you need for a queen/king

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with you! Piecing the backing is such a chore! Your pink and yellow floral backing is so pretty! Oh, if only my pups or Kitty would warm my neck! Thank you for the lovely photo of witch hazel. I’d never seen it before! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new blog header quilt is pretty.The colors and blocks show well against what appears to be grey fabric. Basting/piecing three layers of quilt is my least favorite also - a chore. Empathy on restarting hat - been there, done that. First time I've seen a witch hazel blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job moving these 2 quilts up & out! Love me some Finn. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the quilt in your new blog header. I don't particularly like piecing the back either, but it doesn't bother me that much. That Finn is a character and love to see him each week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great progress is being made! Good for you to stick with the hat after making a mistake! Great quilt in your header and I love the shweshwe quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilt in your blog header it's beautiful, there are always some parts of the crafting process which we hate but once it's done it always worth it to have such a beautiful finish, for me it's weaving in ends in crochet. Your hat is going to be lovely what a pity you had to start it all again. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Preparing a backing is never my favorite job either, but it's always a good feeling when you do get it done! What a pretty backing for the Colour Block quilt. Enjoy your knitting today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like piecing the backing but preparing the sandwich is also a problem for me. I have never seen a witch hazel before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lot of backing fabric to wrestle with! But once the long warmer has does her magic dont forget that you will have all that binding to do. Hopefully you enjoy doing binding, as I do. The black and grey blocks with fuschia sashing is a great colour combination, I'm looking forward to seeing that on progress too. And doesn't Finn look content, all snuggled up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pieced backs for your tops. That raspberry and B&W is really neat.
    What a nice yarn bowl. Sometimes ripping out is the only way to back on track. It will be worth it.
    Witch hazel blooms are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete