Saturday, August 6, 2022

Starting a New Quilt (or two!)

 The rainbow scrap challenge colour for August is orange so I pulled out my bin of orange selvages this week and made my selvage blocks.  Each selvage strip is top stitched very close to the edge and the are foundation pieced to a square of very light weight non woven interfacing.  Orange is one of my favourite colours. 



I will get my orange scrap bin out soon to work on my drunkard's path blocks. 

In the meantime, I have started a new quilt--this one is a wedding gift.  The wedding was in June, after a two year delay due to COVID.  I had a conversation with the bride and groom before the wedding about what they wanted--colours, style, etc.  They chose modern over traditional and purple green and gray as their colours. The purple and green fabrics are from my stash.  I purchased the gray background. This will be a lap quilt. When we talked, I told them they would have their quilt sometime this fall. They were fine with this--just too much other stuff going on in my life to finish it in time for the wedding. Here is what I have made so far...



I'm hoping for some sewing time this afternoon to make some more progress. 

True confessions...I started another quilt this past week. I signed up for the Whistle Stop Quilt along with Tesselate quilts on Instagram.  I picked out the fabrics I am going to use from my stash but I'm not sure what I will use for the background yet.  There are various sizes included in the pattern...I'm making the one block quilt shown below, but your can make quilts with multiple smaller blocks as well. 



I finally got back to my rug hooking this week too. I added some green grass to the lower part of the picture. 



The phlox in my garden is in bloom this week.  Such a pretty colour.  I also have white phlox in the back garden. 


Don't you just love the pops of yellow from Black Eyed Susans at this time of year?


Hey Finn!  Did you know that you have a post it note on your ear???


My daughter knew Finn was up to no good when he came tearing down the hall this week and ran under her bed.  What did he have???  


Hmmm...
A shower cap from the bathroom.  After fishing it out from under the bed, my daughter just had to get a picture of Finn wearing the shower cap.  He's such a monkey!

I will link up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge people at Angela's blog today and with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers tomorrow.  Have a good week. 

12 comments:

  1. silly dog! I think my orange bin will be about empty at the end of the month - time to refresh the bin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh... startitis is coming on strong!
    I love that rug hooking you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those orange selvage string blocks are cool! The rug hooking is looking so pretty.
    OMG Finn is so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Finn is such a cutie! I love those selvage blocks - they're so interesting to look at. The Whistle Stop Quilt looks like a fun one, and a very pretty fabric pull, too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great selvage string blocks! Will they become more hot pads, or destined for something else? Great block choice for a modern wedding quilt! Finn!!! So funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi wonderful starts there and interesting designs to keep you engaged. All wonderful stuff. I also love your rug hooking...I actually have a small kit that I really must get to...sometime. Very cute Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your string blocks are always so pretty! Good for you to jump on a QAL! I'm joining up with a Christmas one from MODA, using words as the blocks. Something fresh to keep us interested, right? I am in love with your wool hooking. I'd love to learn how one day. I think Finn wears his hat well! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the orange scrappy quit blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Finn in the shower cap and your orange blocks. Looks like great starts, you are so good at finishing up what you start so that should be no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great fabric pull and I really like your cute rug - you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hooked rug is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are so many new projects that I want to start, but I am overwhelmed already. I love that purple/green block. I look forward to seeing this quilt. I like the fabrics you have chosen for the other new quilt you are making also. Your rug hooking is looking great. Finn is such a scamp.

    ReplyDelete