Saturday, July 30, 2022

Wedding Shower Gift and RSC purple Drunkard's path blocks

We were away visiting our daughter last weekend and did not get home until Wednesday night which meant that there was not a lot of sewing time this week. Since the end of July is quickly approaching, I needed to get my purple Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks finished up.  The colour for August is orange so I will dig out my orange scrap bin and my orange selvages this coming week. 


Our daughter is in her friend's wedding party this fall. I decided to make the bride some hot pads as a wedding shower gift.  These are the colours that she likes. The selvages are top stitched down onto the insulbrite and then I add the backing and the binding--my hand stitching project this week. 




A few weeks ago, I showed a block I was making from 100 1.5" HST's.  It has been on the back burner while I made the baby quilt and the Quilt for a Survivor of a residential school but today, I got back at it and finished the block.  It is 10" square.  I'm not even sure what I am going to do with it!  For now, it will just live on my design wall while I wait for inspiration to strike.  I'm always surprised how much the block shrinks after all the seams are sewn. 




We had a fun visit with our daughter and Finn last week. We went on lots of walks. One walk took us past Finn's favourite place--the pet store where they get his food.  He was very disappointed that the store was closed and he could not go in to greet the staff and get a treat. 



In 2019, we purchased tickets to see Hamilton in 2020...  We all know that that didn't happen in 2020, and then it didn't happen in 2021 either, but we did see the play this past week with our daughter.  It was really good--great music and wonderful acting.  The tunes have been running through my head all week! 


I took this picture of some thistles on one of our walks with Finn. Great flowers for purple month!

I will link up with Angela and the RSC folks now and with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful purple blocks. Your 100 pieces small block is awesome. Love also the hot pads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice you got to see the play finally! I love the drunkards path and your blocks - I have DP on my bed right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hotpads are cute! Such a fun way to use selvages. Poor Finn - he does look disappointed! So glad you got to see Hamilton! I've been watching bits of it on Disney+, and enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great gift idea, using up more of the selvedges, I've still got plenty of mine hiding away. I'm in awe that you can deal with 1.5 in HSTs, much too small for me! Hello to Finn, looking great as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your purple blocks. I like those hot pads. All I can say about that pretty geometric block is "that was a whole lot of little seams to match up". Wow. So glad you enjoyed Hamilton. I saw it on TV, but I would love to see it in person. Love the Finn photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you finally got to see Hamilton. It's nice to get to a little bit of normal again. Finn is always photogenic. Very nice hand stitching on the Drunkard's Path blocks. ~~Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the hot pads will be a lovely gift

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a nice bridal shower gift. Those tiny hst are really impressive and so accurate! Finn really is a cutie. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of selvage hot mats for a bridal gift! The photo of Finn at the door of his favourite store is adorable - it would be like me arriving at the quilt shop to find the door locked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I ever make hot pads, now I'll know what insulating material to use. The graphic effect of the blocks of half square triangles is striking. I can see why they would shrink with so many seams. Poor Finn was puzzled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great gifts for the bride. I love the picture of Finn looking in the door! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful hot pads and a great way to personalize AND use up some fabrics. I couldn't believe when you said you used 100 1-1/2" HSTs and it only made a 10" block. Then I thought about it and yup! That would be correct. Whatever it ends up, I'm sure it'll be lovely. You are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those Hot pads are the Cats Meow!! Kisses for Finn please!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your hot pads. I don't understand how you got the 1.5 inches pieces to lay so flat. Mine kept curling up no matter how much I pressed it. It is a lovely little block. At this point, it could be anything, even the medallion in a new quilt or bag. The possibilities are endless.
    I would love to follow your blog but I can't find a tab to register myself. Since I don't have bloglovin' it isn't an option for me. Thanks for letting me know if I missed the tab.
    scrap (dot) and (dot) quilts (@) gmail.com
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete