Saturday, July 16, 2022

Purple Scraps and Quilting is Underway.

I sewed with a friend earlier this week and pulled out my purple scraps for my Drunkard's path blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  The white background pieces are cut out and ready to sew to the pieced sections this coming week. It's always interesting to see what lurks in the bottom of the scrap bins!


I have several (too many) quilt tops waiting to be quilted so the push is on to get some of them done.  I took three tops and backings to our church this week where I could lay them out on two tables to pin baste them without crawling around on the floor.  The painter's tape did not stick to the pebbled surface on top of the tables very well so I used longer pieces of tape that stretched to the smooth sides of the tables.  Worked well...just used more tape!  The first quilt is my Shweshwe HST quilt top which I made earlier this year.  


Next up, a RSC quilt from 2021.  The Pattern is by Gudrun Erla from her book "Quilts of Iceland".  I trimmed off the excess batting and backing fabric before taking it home. 


My quilt for a Survivor of a Residential School was also pin basted.  This one is first in line for quilting as I have a deadline to deliver it to a member of the Toronto Modern Guild.  I must say that pin basting on a table or two is much preferred to pin basting on the floor!


I started by sewing in all of the sashing as shown below. 


I had originally planned to just do wavy lines but the quilt did not want that, so I am doing very simple quilting with my walking foot in each block...Lots of in the ditch quilting plus a bit extra. If I had more time, I would do more but the deadline is looming. 









Half of the blocks are quilted and I still have to add something to the outer border.  If I have time, I may add more quilting to some of the blocks.  I will still need to allow some time to hand stitch the binding.  


Finn says it's a dog's life. Life is good when you are well fed and you have a few comfy pillows. 

I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday stitchers in the morning.  I hope to get to that hand sewing of the binding soon!

10 comments:

  1. you got a lot done - it must take forever to pin baste that many? did you have help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it took about 1.5 hours. Two of them were fairly small. The batik quilt is bigger--a large lap quilt.

      Delete
  2. Wow! So many beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great to get 3 quilts basted and ready for quilting! I really like that Shweshwe quilt - so fresh and pretty looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great you were able to pin baste on the tables. Your quilts ready for quilting are beautiful. Finn does exactly as my granddogs do, using the pillows to make himself comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty quilts. Glad you found a way to pin them without hurting your back. Your drunkard path blocks look great Scrappy! Finn looks pretty comfy supervising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always a good feeling to get quilt tops basted and ready for quilting! It's such a big job. Deciding how to quilt them is the next big hurdle to get over. Enjoy your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having two tables to place your quilts on is so much better than crawling on the floor. I like how you are quilting the SRS quilt. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilts. The worst part is over -- the pin basting. I don't know about you but that is my least favorite part of making a quilt. Thank you for sharing your quilting too. I am sometimes at a loss as to what design to use. Finn is such a comfy boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Table basting is SEW much easier on your knees!! :o))

    ReplyDelete