Saturday, July 9, 2022

Two Pieced Quilt Backs and a Finished Quilt

I started the week off with all of my batik fabrics on the floor outside my sewing room, sifting though the pile to find the right fabrics to include in the pieced backing for my Quilt for a Survivor of a Residential School.  I also had 4 6 1/2 inch blocks leftover from the workshop on Traditional Variations which also made it onto the back.  I used up several larger chunks of fabric, inserting bits and pieces as necessary to make it the size I needed.  Here is the backing on my design wall, ready for pin basting and quilting this coming week. 


Believe it or not, the batiks bin is still fairly full but the lid goes on with little effort now!  There might even be a bit of space at the top of the bin, which I am not going to fill up again.  I also have a bin of batik scraps which I will try to use in another project, someday. 

The backing of the Hearts baby quilt was put together using four strips of flannel from the flannel bin.  The red and turquoise sock monkey fabric was used to make PJ's for my nieces years ago.  The white fabric with the turquoise dots was leftover from another quilt back. The flannel bin is still quite full...

I quilted this one with organic wavy lines using a variegated turquoise to white thread on the top and white thread in the bobbin.  The binding is the same turquoise solid that I used on the front.  Sewing it down by hand was my slow stitching project this week. 




My husband is an excellent quilt holder!




I took this picture when we were out for a walk one evening this week.  The fish remind us not to dump harmful substances into the waterways to keep a safe environment for the fish and other water creatures. 


My husband and I went on two garden tours this past week--one in Stratford, Ontario and the other in Niagara on the Lake.  I always take lots of pictures on these tours, often to remind myself of plants I should purchase for my own garden.  While at the garden centre this week, we purchased a few new additions for our garden including this Masterwort.  It is now living quite happily in the front garden. 

Another addition was this orange coneflower--echinacea.  This plant is in the backyard garden, adding a punch of colour to one of the flowerbeds. 



The astilbes bloomed this week.  So pretty!


One picture from the Niagara on the Lake garden tour...Isn't this spectacular?  It's called a Mimosa tree --Albizia Julibrissin.  



Finn has a new haircut and is feeling much cooler in the hot weather we have been having.  Here he is before the haircut...


And After...


I will link up with Kathy and her Slow Sunday Stitchers tomorrow.  I am hoping for some more rug hooking progress this week as well as another finished quilt to show you next week. 

9 comments:

  1. Yes, your husband is certainly an excellent quilt holder. =) I must say I love the gazebo he is standing in. Your two backings for the quilts are as lovely as the fronts. Love the heart quilt; so, so pretty. Such lovely flowers this week. LOVE the Masterwort and the Mimosa tree is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are wonderful I love how you finished the heart quilt. Those flowers are very pretty. I have a deep red coneflower that I love. My astilbe bloomed a few weeks ago. I love those flowers and have sever colors. Mimosa trees are beautiful until they drop their flowers. A neighbor had one years ago and the ground underneath was awfully messy when the flowers fell. The Masterwort is so pretty. I am a sucker for a purple flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finn looks great for the summer 😊
    Doesn't it feel good to piece a backing? I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finishes! Love the photo of hand stitching the binding over monkeys and boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your design wall is in a perfect location next your your machine. Organic quilt lines are perfect and a very nice look and texture. Nice photos of all the different flowers. I could go for a mimosa ;-). Finn has a nice summer trim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hubby is a very professional quilt holder upper, he even has the legs for it. LOL Lovely quilts and backs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One finished quilt and a pieced back ready and waiting for number two, well done. Hello Finn, looking great with his new haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimosas are actually considered weed trees here in the mid Atlantic area. I still think they're pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wavy quilting lines are always a good bet! I do like that sock monkey fabric. Finn always looks handsome! Sarah

    ReplyDelete