Saturday, December 30, 2023

Last Post of 2023

 I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and some time to relax this past week once the festivities were over.  I have managed to do a bit of knitting this week as well as some un-sewing (more on that later in this post!).  During the month of December, I worked on knitting a new hat for my husband whenever he was out or otherwise occupied.  Despite my best efforts, I did not get it done in time and he ended up unwrapping an unfinished gift.  He was surprised and pleased with my gift to him, which makes it all worthwhile.   The hat features three colours of wool and 6 moose figures--I had to learn how to do colour work with the help of YouTube and my friend, Pat.  The pictures below show the hat in progress...





The hat pattern is from a book I purchased in Newfoundland when we were there in June.  "Saltwater Classics" by Christine Legrow and Shirley A. Scott.   We saw several moose while we were in Newfoundland.  I started doing the decreases for the crown of the hat earlier today but have to change to DPN's for the last few rows...I need to borrow these from Pat in order to finish the hat.  I should have it done in no time once I have the needles. 

I like to make gifts for family and friends.  This year, many of them received rope bowls.  These bowls are about 7" across and fairly shallow...perfect for some jewelry, a watch, etc.  I tried to make them in each person's favourite colours. The bowls shown below are a sampling of the ones I made. 




A few years ago, I started some cross stitch ornaments in a month by month stitch along with the intention of making all 12--well, I ended up cross stitching three of the designs and only one was ever finished and gifted to my friend Pat. This year, I finished off the last two and gave them to a couple of friends.  




I made pillowcases for my husband and my daughter.  The whale and blueberry fabrics were purchased in St. John's, Newfoundland.  I have fabric to make myself a Newfoundland pillowcase as well, but ran out of time.  This will be a January project. 




I unstitched the worn out binding from my daughter's quilt and will make and machine stitch the new binding to the quilt tomorrow.  I will get the hand sewing done before she goes home.  This will be my Slow Sunday Stitching!  You can see that the old binding has done its time!



Finn gave me a cute Sewing Store puzzle for Christmas!  He's a great shopper!


He also likes to be comfortable on a soft pillow for his naps...


We had butter tarts and fruit skewers for Christmas dinner dessert.  I purchased the butter tarts from our local farmer's market...they disappeared quickly!  Santa was keeping his eye on them!


I made my SIL a Christmas wall hanging at one of the retreats I attended in November.  I could not show it until now as she often reads my blog!


My daughter received a couple of counted cross stitch kits for Christmas and has started one of them.  


That's all the news from here for this week.  Happy New Year!  I will link up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching crew in the morning. 

13 comments:

  1. sorry you didn't get the hat done that you were working on but I bet you will finish it soon - sounds like you had a good Xmas - love those rope bowls

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made some great Christmas gifts this year. Lucky friends and family! Have a great New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband's hat is fabulous, Gail! Love the colour work of the moose. You have fashioned some lovely gifts for your loved ones. Those rope bowls are fabulous. And yes, Finn did very well with the selection of that great puzzle. Clever boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those rope bowls. That is a craft I want to try this year. Your husband's hat is fantastic. I like the pillowcases and those ornaments. Finn is an adorable smart pup with that appropriate puzzle gift. I like the quilt you made for your SIL. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made lots of fun gifts for Christmas, Gail! I love ornaments - they must have been waiting for just the right recipient. That looks like a great hat for your husband. He'll enjoy it when it's finished. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job on the Moose Hat and your Rope Bowls. Very thoughtful gifts and they look great too! Happy New Year's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many nice projects, it is difficult to complete them all time. The moose look great and its worth the extra time. Finn picked out an appropriate puzzle. Happy Stiching in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My granddaughter's boyfriend would love that moose hat. Lovely gifts you made, and what a great puzzle Finn picked out for you! Happy New Year, and Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those rope bowls - the finish on the end is very clever and decorative. Glad you had a good Christmas! And wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many lovely gifts in sure that they were all very well received and appreciated, I too love to gift hand made items but only to those I know will appreciate them. Those type bowls are a great idea. Wishing you a very happy and creative New Year. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had a lot to show this time. The rope bowls look wonderful are they hard to stitch? Clever Finn, he chose your gift well. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the variety of projects in your post - all those talents in one person! I especially like the rope bowls - beautiful! I am joining you from Slow Sunday Stitching, my first time linking up - I am number 22 if you want to stop by. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness you made so many gorgeous gifts for Christmas! You are the best hand stitching Santa! That was a well loved quilt binding! And the puzzle from Finn looks like so much fun! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete