Friday, January 26, 2024

Crumby Stars, Counted Cross Stitch and Mending...

I'm doing really well working on some sort of knitting, stitching or sewing every day in January.  So far, I have only missed one day! I finished piecing my crumby star blocks this week and put all the blocks together.  The blocks are 12" square so at this stage, the quilt top was 36 by 28".  I want it to be a wee bit bigger so I will add 3.5" borders all around using the background material.  I am not sure of what I will use for backing yet...maybe some flannel.  I will be quilting this one myself with my walking foot.  I'm contemplating how I will do this now. 


I finished the 4th of 9 motifs on my counted cross stitch project.  This pattern is from Satsuma Street. I'm loving the colours in this pattern.  I will start working on the next motif this weekend. 




My daughter received a couple of cross stitch kits from her aunt, uncle and cousins at Christmas.  She has made good headway on the first one.  All four kits provide clues to solve a murder mystery.  I see blood dripping from the sink...


Finn likes to supervise while she stitches...


My scarf is now 17" long.  At this rate, I might finish it for next winter...  Do not fear! There is no shortage of scarves in my wardrobe to keep me warm this winter.  


Nothing better than sticking your face into the freshly fallen snow on a sunny day!


I mentioned mending in the title of my post.  I fixed two pairs of pants and shortened another pair.  I don't like to have clothing repairs cluttering up my sewing room so I try to get them out of the way so that I can clutter up the room with fabric instead!  I have a retreat coming up in March and I'm starting to assemble a pile of projects to bring with me to the retreat.  I will link up with Kathy and the slow stitchers on Sunday as well as Angela and the RSC folks on Saturday. Have a great week. 

20 comments:

  1. Love the stars and the satsuma street sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cheerful stars are wonderfully cheerful in the bleak of winter, and that cross stitching of yours is just exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crumby stars are cute as can be. Anxious to see what you choose for a border. Love the colors in your cross stitch. Very wintery looking. Perfect stitch for January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your crumb stars top is going to make a beautiful quilt, Gail! I love all that color. Pretty colors in your cross-stitch project, too. Looks like you're making good progress on it! Your daughter's cross-stitch project is intriguing! Does she have to do the kits in a certain order? Happy stitching to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crumbly rainbow stars are a riot of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like contemplating whodunnit while stitching. What a great idea to use the cross stitch pattern as clues. The crumby stars is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That rainbow of stars is pretty! I love the idea of a cross stitch mystery. How fun. Finn is a character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your crumby stars! Pretty cross stitching too. Cross stitch mystery? That sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cross stitch is so pretty. I agree -- the colors are gorgeous -- and that reindeer? He's magnificent. Just love the pictures of Finn. His eyes are so expressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I'd rather clutter my sewing room with fabrics instead of clothes which need to be repaired, mended or altered. I'm not a fan of repairing clothes; so boring. Your Crumby Stars looks terrific and your pretty cross stitch is growing beautifully. And as for Finn, he is adorable as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cross stitch is so nice. Jody from Satsuma street can certainly put her colours together brilliantly! I'm really intrigued by your daughters latest project. Finn is always gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way the mending process works, the family put what needs to be mended on the sewing machine. They know it will spur me to get it done and out the way and off the list. No nagging and my sewing space stays tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Star quilt. I’ve never heard of murder mystery cross stitch, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your star quilt is so pretty! So is your cross stitching. I love those colours too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The low volume print is perfect for Crumbly Stars. I’ve been on the lookout for similar fabric as I think low volumes add more interest to a quilt vs a solid white. Had not heard of a murder mystery cross stitch. Hmm….intriguing. Happy Finn having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flower you stitched is so pretty. I looked up those mystery cross-stitch kits and may start this for my daughter next year. She loves to read mysteries. Finn is adorable as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely crumby star blocks. I have never heard of those mystery cross stitch kits, but of course I don't normally cross stitch. Always love seeing Finn's adorable face.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your scrappy stars all together! Cute embroidery too, and your daughter's ones are fun, like an embroidered escape game ;)
    I see how Finn likes snow!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your "crumby" stars are so pretty all together...nice work on these.
    Finn is just adorable....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that Rainbow Crumb Star and your GREEN scarf, too!

    ReplyDelete