Saturday, January 13, 2024

Progress on Several Fronts

I managed to do some knitting or sewing or cross stitching every day this week!  My Gross Morne scarf is now 1 foot (31 cm) long.  I have decided to include the measurement each time I show it as it is hard to tell from the photo alone if I have made any progress.  I still have a ways to go on this project!  


I made my husband and my daughter pillowcases for Christmas but ran out of time to make one for myself so I did that this week.  The two main fabrics were purchased in the East Coast Quilting Company store in St. John's, Newfoundland.  The berries in the border are called Bake Apples or Cloud Berries.  They grow wild in Newfoundland and are used in jam, sauces and ice cream.  There is only one berry per plant so picking them is labour intensive. They are delicious! The colourful houses represent the jelly bean houses in St. John's.  


I started a new rainbow scrap challenge project...These are cut without a template so each one is a bit different.  I will make four each month using my I spy fabrics and the appropriate background colour from my solid stash. They are 6" squares.  I will make an I Spy baby quilt with the finished blocks. I would like to do another RSC project this year but have not decided on anything yet.  


I made and finished off the facing on my David Owen Hastings class project.  I will be hanging this up in my sewing room.  I would like to try making more of these little quilts inspired by architecture sometime.  This one was inspired by a picture I took at the chapel ruin at Dunnottar Castle in Scotland in 2019. 


I put in a lot of stitches on my Christmas cross stitch this week.  The reindeer in the upper right corner is just about done--the antlers and legs are yet to be done (plus a bit of the lower body). 


While digging around in a bin of UFO's this week, I found this 4.5" basket block that was just begging to be made into a pin cushion.  I used some cute pin fabric on the back.  I made the basket block at least 12 years ago.  There is an extra layer of white fabric under the basket block to keep the crushed walnut shells from making the white fabric look dingy. 



I finally finished piecing the back for my modern sampler quilt--I used only stash fabrics for this one.  I will cut the batting to the right size and take it to the long armer this week. 


Finn keeps my daughter in sight at all times and often has to be touching her.    Here they are, toe to toe!


A wintery blast arrived this week so it is time for boots and a coat.  Finn is not thrilled. 



I will link up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Frederique and Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching.  

14 comments:

  1. Finn looks unhappy, but adorable none the less. I like the scarf and your cross-stitch. You've been working on a variety of pretty sewing projects. We have been having lots and lots of rain, but we too are expecting an Arctic blast just in time for my son and his family to visit from CA. I don't think my DIL is happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finn looks like he's not too sure about going out in that stuff. You worked on lots of fun things this week! I love the pillow case and that adorable pincushion. Your RSC blocks are neat ones, too. I think I have some of those bicycles in my stash in black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy week, you did a lot! Pretty improv green blocks, it's going to be a fun RSC and baby quilt project. Your mini is wonderful, the pincushion too. Great use of an old and cute block!
    Finn doesn't seem too keen on snow, but he looks cute with his winter clothes ;)
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, you have been busy stitching pretties this week. Cute little houses on your pillowcase and your RSC Eye Spy is going to be fabulous. Love your architecture inspired mini quilt. I'm with Finn......I'd be hesitant to brave those snowy outdoors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to have fabric from a trip. A nice rememberence. Did you do your own walking foot stitching on the David Hastings class project? If so, it looks perfect. Too cute Finn getting a climpse of the winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good on all fronts. I think your scarf is just the right length for Finn! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finn looks like he is not happy with that white stuff on the ground! Beautiful projects. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finn does not look pleased at all. I wouldn't go out in that white stuff either! Great projects you are working on, such a nice variety. I am glad I am not the only one with multiple projects. I made pillowcases for my family too, and decided to make some for me this year. I got the body cut out, but need to go in my stash and find some coordinating fabric, and that hasn't gotten done yet. Maybe today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got lots of interesting projects here, the pin cushion is so cute. As is Finn too, of course. He would certainly need boots in such cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, you have lots on your plate! Love that adorable pin cushion with the pin fabric! And I know lots of pups in our area (Northern Montana) that are not too thrilled about wearing booties these days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor little Finn. Coco is lucky snow doesn't stick to her - but neither does her fur - it's all over the house.
    Great catching up with your projects. I am inspired by your motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A treat for me to read these familiar words from Newfoundland! You have such great projects on the go. I enjoy seeing an improv type with those cute fabrics. And your knitting and cross stitching is moving right along.

    ReplyDelete