Saturday, January 20, 2024

Sewing Day with Friends

 Before the pandemic, I used to invite a few friends over for a sewing day several times a year.  Today, three friends came here for a sewing/embroidery/knitting/cross stitch day.  It's fun to sit and chat while we work on our projects.  I made everyone basket block pincushions as a souvenir of our day together.  



I spent some time this past week getting my main sewing project ready.  Last year, one of my Rainbow Scrap Projects was four 6.5" crumb blocks for each of 12 colours. I have been thinking about how I will use these blocks and this week decided to divide them into four sets and make 4 quilts with them.  First up, crumby stars!  I searched though my stash to find potential background fabrics. 

I had not made my dark green and gold crumb blocks yet so those were on the agenda this week too. I actually made four of each but took this picture after making the green and gold star blocks for my current project. 

Then, I cleaned up my solid bins and found some fabrics for the star points on each block. I cut out the pieces for all 12 blocks and I was ready!



By the end of the day, I had sewn 7/12 blocks with only one small slip up along the way. 



What did everyone else work on, you may ask? Christine added binding to a quilt and worked on crumb blocks for a Drunkard's path quilt. 


About mid afternoon, we decided to move to the living room for handwork.  Christine did some cross stitching on a Halloween picture.  

Pat worked on knitting a hat, socks and a pair of mittens as well as some counted cross stitch. 






Elaine worked on some embroidery for a pillow. This will be a long term project. 




During handwork time, I added more rows to my scarf--it is now 15" long. (last week, it was 12" long")


Progress was made on my winter cross stitch as well. I am working on the fourth motif now as well as the purple border stitches. 


It was very cold here this week and the wind was blowing hard, so hard that it coated the gate at the pier in Port Stanley with ice.  After bundling up against the cold, my husband and I went down to take a look.  We took a few pictures and headed back to the car to get out of the wind. We stopped for tea and hot chocolate at a little café on the way home. 




We did not take a seat on this bench!


Finn doesn't like getting his winter gear on but still likes going for a walk outside, even when its cold. 

I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitching group in the morning as well as Frederique and the RSC folks. 

12 comments:

  1. You didn't sit on that seat??!! Why ever not??!! =) It looks freezing there!! How wonderful to spend a day stitching with like minded friends working on pretty projects. Love Pat's knitting. Such pretty wool and patterns. Those pincushions are gorgeous you gifted each lady. As ever you are busy, busy, busy with your lovely pretties. Your winter cross stitch is looking gorgeous and all those blocks....just beautiful. You had better hurry up and finish your scarf.....I think you definitely need it to ward off that frigid weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always lovely to get together with crafty friends, I love all the projects and they must have loved those pincushions. Lovely photos but it looks so cold! Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of gathering with friends for the day to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to be able to stitch with friends--always such fun!!
    Beautiful projects in process! I like your Stars--so pretty...
    nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been seeing some photos of thick, thick ice and it is amazing to see - so very cold

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a nice post! Basket pincushions are adorable. Certainly, it felt good to stitch together again. OMGoodness all that brown ice build up! Great photos. They should be entered in a photo contest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sew day sounds like so much fun, and the pincushions are adorable! I bet your friends loved them. I really like those crumb stars, too. They're going to make a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! The pier was definitely all frosted up. Brrrrr! What a nice sewing day you all had. I look forward to sewing with my friends too, this time of year in particular!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun day with crafty friends! Your pincushions are lovely, such a pretty gift. Great idea to use your crumb blocks! Love the stars. I share some golden fabrics with you, I could recognize some in your beautiful blocks ;))
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a very busy group of ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely sewing day you had with your friends. Is that ice all over that bench? Unbelievable, we don't get anything like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, what a lovely pincushion gift for your stitchy friends! So many nice projects worked on at your get together. Yeah, plotzing on that bench would not have ben pleasant! Even though it was cold, I bet the brisk air still felt good.

    ReplyDelete