Thursday, December 9, 2010

Our Part Towards the One Million Pillowcases...

Yesterday morning, Jacqui, Chris and I got together to sew pillowcases for Christmas Care, our local Christmas hamper program.

My serger helped to make the job go much faster!

Chris kept busy cutting fabric and preparing the pillowcases for sewing. We used the "roll it up" method.
The pillowcases were fun and easy to make. We all brought fabric to use for the project. In 3 1/2 hours, we made 16 pillowcases! I had one extra pillowcase that I had made previously, so 17 pillowcases were donated.





The volunteers at Christmas Care were quite happy to receive these gifts for their hampers and were admiring the pillowcases as I left to go home.

When I got home, I registered our pillowcases on the One Million Pillowcase Challenge website. The total number of pillowcases donated this year is over 209,700!  That is A LOT of pillowcases. Although, they are well short of their one million pillowcase goal, many people have benefited from the generosity of sewers and quilters all over the world. Tonight, the London Friendship Quilters' guild will be gathering up pillowcases from the members to donate to local charities and those will also be registered on the website. Keep the total moving up closer to the goal!  Make a pillowcase today and donate it to a local charity!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing those pillowcases for donation! That's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized you are talking about jacqui v.m.s!!!! Say Hi to her from Ruth for me!!! Happy Blogging from a fellow Ontarian!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I didn't know there was a place to register pillowcases donated. Mine were sent away a while back, wonder if the recipient registered them!

    ReplyDelete