Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Outhouse Quilt

I bought this fabric at a quilt show a few years ago because it had birdhouses on it. When I got home, I opened up my fat quarter and found that it also had outhouses on it. I was a bit disturbed that I had purchased outhouse fabric and put it away, until this past weekend when I was looking for fabric for a quilt for a family member who grew up on a farm and was very well acquainted with outhouses! I decided to use this fabric as my focus fabric for the quilt.

I picked out some greens,


and some tans,

 and some browns.





(I ended up taking out that gold fat quarter!)

I used my GO cutter to cut out about 100 tumblers and then arranged them on my design floor.

 I sewed the tumblers together on Monday night and tonight, I cut and added two borders.

 (That is the toe of my shoe at the bottom of the picture!)

I also pieced the back of this quilt. I used some farm fabric across the center of the back.



This quilt is ready for the long arm quilter!  I will likely add my label before I take it to her so that it will be quilted in. 
 

I have a list of projects to make or finish before starting a new fun project for me... I would like to make a Scrappy Trip Around the World Quilt!  There seem to be lots of people working on this quilt right now.  In the meantime, I have some baby gifts, some pillow cases (gifts), the backing for Swoon, my Great Granny Square blocks to assemble, GGS backing, and the backing for my Sewing Baskets quilt.  Sew much to do, sew little time!

I have also decided to keep track of fabric in and out of my stash this year. So far this year, I have purchased 8 yards of fabric and used 10 yards.  At least that is more out than in!  We will see how the year unfolds...





4 comments:

  1. I think tumbler quilts are so vintage at heart, and I sure like your themed fabric that blended this outhouse quilt together. Good for you to create something fun ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is hilarious! Brings back memories of visiting my Grandparents - at one time they had a double-seater. The quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the outhouse fabric. I think you chose the perfect quilt to use it in. What a fun, fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want this outhouse fabric, where can I get it?

    ReplyDelete