Thursday, February 7, 2013

Stash Reduction

This week, I used 11.5 yards of fabric making pillowcases (gifts) and a pieced backing for my "Sewing Baskets" quilt top that I made at BIQR this past fall. I have had the fabric for the backing all ready to go for a few months now and finally got it put together this week.

I saved one of the selvage spool blocks to use as my label:


The center part is a yard of spools fabric that I bought a while ago and thought it would be perfect for this quilt. I pieced a strip of selvage fabric into the backing.


This quilt will be off to the quilters soon. Karen C. will be custom quilting this one.  I will be sure to post pictures when I get it back.

Last night, I worked on a pieced border for my Great Granny Squares quilt. Here are all the units --86 of them!--ready to sew together.

I am gettting together with a few friends on Saturday for a sew-in so I hope to finish off the GGS top that day. I have the backing fabric for this quilt already so there should be another good stash reduction report next week.

The last thing on my list before I can start a new project (actually, I have two new projects in mind--who can just do one thing at a time???) is the backing for swoon so it can be taken to the quilter's house.

Here is my stash report for this week:

Fabric used this week:  11.5 yards
Total fabric used this year:  31.5 yards
Fabric added to stash this week:  1 yard (It was a birthday gift!  I will be 50 tomorrow.)
Total fabric added this year: 22.5 yards
Net fabric out of the stash: 9 yards.

Funny thing is that the pile of fabric (I mean neatly organized fabric!) does not appear to be any smaller...  I will have to keep working on this.

In the meantime, my husband is taking me out for dinner tomorrow night to celebrate my birthday and there will be a family party sometime this weekend. We will celebrate with my daughter later this month--in reality, it is Birthday Celebration MONTH, rather than just a special day! We are in the path of a winter storm tonight and tomorrow--the best gift of all would be a snow day!  We will see...

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Gail-enjoy your day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday M-O-N-T-H, that's the way to enjoy your birthday!!
    Sounds like a good use of your yardage, Gail. Oh, and I love the selvage spool for a label. (Spools are how I want to use my hoarded selvages!!)
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete