Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Making Parts

I have been heavily into parts production for my Foothills quilt-along blocks.  The original antique quilt has 25 blocks but I am not sure if I will just make that many or if I will try to make this quilt big enough for a bed. I have lots of shirts so there is no shortage of fabric!


I made a dozen hourglass units for the block centres.  Each unit is unique--I don't want any matched pairs.


I have 15 sets of 4 HST's done (not including the set in the completed sample block.  I'm aiming for contrast in each HST, not necessarily a dark and a light.   The dark rectangles on the left are for the centre bars between the HST's in the blocks.  Some of them will be dark and some will be medium.

Here is a picture of everything on the design wall.


I will be doing some more cutting next for parts for my blocks. I will assemble blocks when I have almost all of the parts made.

I checked with Mary Elizabeth Kinch about showing a picture of the quilt on my blog.  With her permission, here it is:


Chain and Bar Quilt, Maker Unknown, Alberta, c. dates not specified, cotton, 185.5 cm x 179 cm, from the collection of University of Alberta Museums.

 Isn't it wonderful?  The woman who made this quilt used every last scrap of some of those fabrics and then had so make a few substitutions in some of the blocks. It would be fun to examine this one in person, up close and personal.

3 comments:

  1. The original quilt is a wonderful design and will look great in your colours. Quilts made from recycled clothing are always so special, they hold so many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Your choice of fabrics certainly makes the vintage feel authentic! It is going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete