Sunday, October 28, 2018

Camp Kintail Crafters' Retreat: Part 1

Christine and I went to Camp Kintail this past weekend to sew for a couple of days.  There were over 70 crafters at the retreat--knitters, crocheters, painters, quilters, scrapbookers, etc.  Christine and I had a corner to ourselves at the retreat and both of us were very productive!  It rained most of the weekend --great weather for staying inside to work on our projects.  Of course, we both brought more  projects than we could possibly get done in a weekend but it was good to have choices.


I started out on Friday night working on two placemats for Meals on Wheels, an annual project of the London Friendship Quilter's Guild.  Each member makes two placemats which are given on Christmas Day to Meals on Wheels recipients.  The staff and volunteers at MOW are always happy to receive the placemats.  I used some orphan blocks and some stash fabric to make my placemats.


Here are my finished placemats.


Saturday morning, I worked on a large table topper...I made the flimsy years ago and found it in my quilting room this week as I was looking for supplies for the retreat.  I decided to get it quilted and bound and get it off my UFO list.


I did some orange peel quilting in the centre section and a wavy line in the narrow border.  The outer border has some straight line quilting and there are X's in the corners.


"Flame" (her camp name!) and I holding my finished quilt.  When my family went to Camp Kintail Family camp many moons ago, Flame was our camp counsellor.  It was so nice to connect with her again.  I have donated this quilt to the camp for a silent auction fundraiser that they are having in a few weeks to raise money for a new building "The Nest" that was built this past year.  In fact, Christine and I stayed in one of the rooms in the Nest and we sewed in a large room in the basement.  It is a beautiful building with many multipurpose spaces as well as rooms to stay in while at camp.


It was too wet to sit outside this weekend but wouldn't this be a great spot to sit and do some hand stitching when it's warmer and dryer?


The food was delicious all weekend.  Saturday morning, we were treated to pumpkin scones...


We met these ladies at the retreat...  They came out of the henhouse to greet us as we headed to the dining hall for lunch on Saturday. 



I'm glad we brought our raincoats!

I will do another post about the rest of the retreat later this week.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like a great place!! Those scones look awesome and your topper turned out great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very productive weekend! I really like your two placemats, such a nice idea. And I hope your table topper raises lots for the camp building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m looking forward to seeing what else you two accomplished

    ReplyDelete