Friday, October 5, 2018

Foothills Quilt Flimsy DONE!


I have been working on this quilt for several months now as part of a quilt-along with Mary Elizabeth Kinch. The block pattern came from an antique quilt that she showed on her blog last December and so many people liked it, Mary Elizabeth decided to offer a quilt-along so others could make the quilt. I started making blocks back in February and gradually, the design wall filled up with 25 blocks.  The original quilt had 5 rows of 5 blocks which resulted in a square quilt.  At the last minute, I decided to make my blocks into a single bed sized quilt with a 4 X 6 layout and a piano key border.


It was not quite big enough for a single bed without the extra borders.   The fabrics for this quilt all came from shirts that my husband was not going to wear anymore after he lost some weight (on purpose).  The sashing is navy blue, although it is hard to tell in the picture above.


I made hourglass blocks for the corners.  Believe it or not, I still have two bins full of shirt fabric.  I have cut out the backs of several shirts to piece the back of the quilt.



I added a final 2.5" navy border this afternoon and my husband held up the quilt for the first picture in this post when he got home from work. His arms were not quite long enough to hold it from corner to corner. I'm very happy to have this flimsy done!  This is the first bed sized quilt I have made in a few years and it will look great in our guest room.  I'm aiming to have it quilted, bound and on the bed by Christmas.


12 comments:

  1. I Love how your quilt turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking quilt. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely in love w/ this quilt! I panicked when I couldn't remember whose blog it was so will NOW write it down. :) Thanks, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the most lovely quilt I've seen made from recycled materials!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fabulous! The piano key border is the perfect addition!
    Do you look at the fabrics and remember your husband wearing the shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely to see quilts made from recycled cloth and this is a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this on a lot! Good for you, for using up the shirt fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shirt fabrics look great in this pattern and the navy really sets them off well. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGoodness, I just love the design & colour of that quilt!
    Greaat job, well done!!
    The woolie fall wee quilt is going to be so sweet when you get it done too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful, restful quilt! It's calm, without being dull, and the flying geese make it interesting. It'll be great in your spare room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to see a genuine scrap quilt and this one is beautiful. Can't wait to see it quilted.

    ReplyDelete