Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Piles of Blocks

I have a couple of projects underway with lots of smaller blocks.  The first quilt is a neutral swap with the Elgin Piecemakers which was started last September.  Each month, 10 of us exchange 5" neutral blocks--we each make 20 blocks and everyone gives their blocks to me.  I redistribute the blocks so each person gets 2 blocks made by each person.  This gives each of us lots of variety in our blocks.


In January, I made enough blocks for 4 months.  After handing in April's blocks, I realized I needed to get back to sewing some more blocks for May and June.  Over the last couple of weeks, I made another 43 blocks...20 for May, 20 for June, and 3 as a head start for the next month.  I am using up lots of my scraps for these blocks.   Just in case anyone is wondering, the middle square is cut 2.5", the first border is a one inch strip and the wider border is cut 1.5" wide.  After sewing and pressing, the blocks are cut down to 5" x 5".   You can see my pile of blocks that I have accumulated so far below.  I have 160 blocks so far.


The pile on the left side of the picture is the Tula Pink 100 block modern sampler block collection so far...I have over 70 of these blocks made, including 4 that I added to the pile this week.


Sometimes, the cutting takes longer than sewing the block together!  I am using my stash of black and white prints as well as three Tula Pink fat quarters that I purchased at QuiltCon in February for these blocks.


I hope to make a few more of these black and white blocks tonight.  I have still not settled on a setting for these blocks yet...  I just want the finished quilt to fit on our queen sized bed.


It's fun to see the piles grow!

I'm off to the sewing room!  Finn loves this squeaky toy burrito.



1 comment: