Early this week, I took all of my blocks of various shapes and sizes, and cobbled them into a quilt top. This was my 4th vortex quilt, inspired by Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom quilts, made in an attempt to tame my flannel scrap bin. I even used some flannel leftovers to piece the back. These strips were purchased at the modern guild rummage sale a few weeks ago.
Many of these flannel fabrics are filled with memories--lots of leftovers from PJ's made for my daughter and nieces when they were little---now, all three are in their 20's.
I quilted this one on my DSM, using my walking foot, with a pattern of two straight lines, followed by a curvy line. I wanted to make sure there was lots of quilting to keep all of those small pieces stable, wash after wash, as the quilt is used by a baby.
I got to the end of the quilting, pleased to be done, ready to trim the quilt, to add the binding. Looking good on this side, but then I turned it over...
Yikes. I had quilted 4 inches of the edge backing onto the back of the quilt. I took out my super sharp scissors and cut away much of the overlapping fabric, without undoing the quilting. After getting it down to 2", I took out my ruler and my rotary cutter, and trimmed off the remaining overlapping chunk. No one will ever know that I did this, so please don't spill the beans!!! (LOL!)
I found the binding fabric in my stash--it has made an appearance in other baby quilts that I have made in the past. I did some of the hand stitching yesterday afternoon and some today in the car. Here is the finished quilt...I just need to add a label.
I will be linking up with Kathy's slow Sunday stitching group tomorrow.