Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 in Review

2019 was a productive year in my sewing room.  I finished several projects and still have lots on the go to keep me busy in the new year.  I have had a couple of non-sewing relatives ask me what I do with all of the quilts I make.  I keep some, I give some away as gifts and some are charity projects.  In any case, having lots of quilts does not make me want to stop making more.  Sewing relaxes me and feeds my creative soul so I will continue to sew. Here is an overview of my completed projects this year.

January
I signed up for the Coming Home BOM with Sarah Fielke this year.  I made this block book to keep the pieces organized as I worked on the quilt.  I had to take a break from making this quilt to get ready for Christmas but hope to get back at it in the new year.  I have two more borders to make to complete the quilt.  This will be a 2020 goal...


My next January finish was one that should have been done in 2018 as it was a Christmas gift... I made a sewing machine cover for a friend who loves to go camping.


February

In February, my friend Christine and I attended our first Quilt Con in Nashville.  I participated in the Make a Mini, Make a Friend challenge.  Here is the quilt I made for Evie.  It is called Maple Keys from Canada.



The London Modern Guild issued a colour challenge in 2019 for a mini quilt made with black and white plus one other colour.  These mini quilts were on display at our first quilt show in September.




March

My third challenge for 2018 was the snip it, rip it, drop it and pass it challenge issues by the Elgin Piecemakers.  I made a bag for my car stitching with my fabrics.  I use this bag all the time for my current cross stitch or embroidery projects.  It's very handy!



This wall hanging is in my sewing room.  The sewing machine is a Lori Holt pattern.


April

There was lots of sewing going on in April, but no finishes.

May

I made several gift quilts this year.  This one was for my cousin's new grandson in Scotland.



June

A colleague at work retired in June so I made her a zippered pouch.  I made lots  (over 2 dozen!) of these this year so I won't show pictures of all of them here.



The next quilt was a gift for my cousin in England...it was an old UFO that just needed to get done!  We delivered this one in person in August.



This next quilt also now resides in England with my step Grandmother.  The fabrics reminded me of her pretty garden.











July 

Gail's Garden is another older UFO that was completed in 2019.  This quilt was started at a class with Jacquie Gering a few years ago.




August

I gave this quilt to my aunt when we were in Scotland in August.  Purple is her favourite colour.



September

We visited a lot of cousins while in Scotland and England in August and most of them received a small quilted gift--many received zippered pouches or pillow cases made with Canada fabric and one received a Christmas table topper.




October

It was time to get started on the Christmas sewing in October.  I retired at the end of September so suddenly, there was more sewing time after that.  This little wall hanging was donated to the church's Christmas bazaar.



Another baby quilt--this time just to have on hand, ready for gifting. This was an attempt to use up some of my 30's prints.  I still have lots left...




There were lots of zippered pouches made this month too...

November

Another baby quilt in waiting...an attempt to use up my flannel scraps.  No fear--I still have lots left.



December

Yet another baby quilt this month---this time with a Bonnie Hunter pattern...Bricks and Stepping Stones with an I spy theme.  This one will be delivered soon.



Another challenge was completed--this time for the Oxford Guild.  I made a pillow inspired by the colours on a Kleenex box.



I made a pillow for my brother for Christmas using our Dad's shirts. There were more zippered pouches, pillow cases and bowl cozies made in December as well.  My next post will hopefully outline what I hope to accomplish in 2020.


6 comments:

  1. So enjoy your blog and your many lovely projects. Your blacks and whites inspired me to try the Tula Pink blocks (60 done) and I love them with a wide array of novelties. Happy needlwork and happy new decade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made a variety for sure! that little camper sewing cover is really cute - I should do something for my featherweight

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have acheived so much this year. Isn't it satisfying to look back at all those beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a busy quilter you were in 2019. SEW many wonderful gifts for your family and friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful year of accomplishments... fun to review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Such a full year of finishes. I loved seeing them all.

    ReplyDelete