Saturday, December 14, 2019

Embroidery and Binding

This has been a busy week in the sewing department!  I have worked on three different hand stitching projects and finished a quilt.   Today, was the monthly meeting of the London Modern Guild and after our "business" meeting and show and tell, there was a delicious pot luck lunch and some Christmas crafts.  I decided to make an embroidered snowflake ornament. 


I traced the pattern onto the fabric with a pen that is almost the same colour as the thread I am using for the embroidery so you will have to look closely to see what is stitched already.  I have used two different colours of thread so far and may add some beads as well.

I also added some more stitches to my tree in my other embroidery project, started last week.


Next, I put together an I Spy baby quilt this week using Bonnie Hunter's Bricks and Stepping Stones pattern.


The top came together quickly and then I quilted it on my DSM with the walking foot, stitching an X in each brick and four-patch.


The binding fabric has been hanging around my sewing room for a few years and even after making the binding for this quilt, it is still not gone!  I cut 5 width of fabric strips, thinking this would be enough, but no, I was short by this much!


I cut another short strip and soon the binding was ready for hand sewing, which I did over the last couple of days, just in time for show and tell at today's guild meeting.


The backing is pieced from some flannel scraps I bought at the guild yard sale a few months ago.  I still have enough for another baby quilt backing.


Here is the finished quilt.  The four patches are made with white and navy blue, although it looks black in the pictures.


I see hours of fun ahead for the baby and his parents as they search for items in the fabrics on this quilt---I spy ice cream, boats, gnomes....

I will be linking up with Kathy and the other slow stitchers tomorrow morning.

11 comments:

  1. love your snowflake embroidery and the quilt sure uses scraps doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That snowflake is very pretty. great I spy quilt too. I like the the positioning and use of the blue and white blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day I cut out all of the bricks in greens. They have been sitting in a bag for a rainy day. LOVE how quickly your quilt came together. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your snowflake embroidery! The baby quilt sure was quick to make - I'll have to remember that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great projects, love your snowflake embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful snowflake embroidery! I love that pattern of the baby quilt, I think I have made 2 of them and they are so fun to make. Love the idea of an i Spy one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some great projects going on at your house! The embroidered snowflakes seem to be popping up everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your snowflake is beautiful and I look forward to more progress on your other stitchery as well. It looks fun. The "I Spy" quilt will provide hours of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your snowflake! I really did have to look to see the difference between your stitching and tracing -- what a clever idea! I'll have to remember that for future use! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your stitching fingers are busy! Lovely quilt and beautiful embroidery. Loved it all!

    ReplyDelete