Saturday, August 19, 2023

Five Placemats, One Baby Book, Sunflowers and Gros Morne National Park in Nfld.

I have now finished my five placemats for Meals on Wheels.  The yellow and gray one was an orphan block which I made wider by adding strips to the sides of the block.  I also took a picture of the backs of the placemats--you can see that I used up some of the fabrics used on the fronts on 4/5. These will be collected by the Oxford Guild for distribution at Christmas. 



At the guild sewing day on Monday, I finished off the placemats and made a cloth baby book from a panel.   This will be a gift for a friend's new grandson.






I finished off this large sunflower this week as well as adding more stitches to the two smaller sunflowers and the leaves.  It would be nice to finish off this quadrant of the project this week.  I will be working on this for Slow Sunday Stitching tomorrow. 


Have you seen the videos on Facebook of dogs collecting the "Cheese Tax"?  Finn is an expert cheese tax collector!  


He always stares at our daughter with love in his eyes...


I promised a few more pictures from our trip to Newfoundland.  We did a lot of hiking on the trip and found the trails to be spectacular, if not a bit challenging at times.  We spent several days exploring Gros Morne National Park.  We did a guided hike at the Tablelands in the rain.  We wore our rain gear and stayed mostly dry. The Tablelands feature the earth's mantle layer showing for all to see--only one of two places in the world that this occurs. 



This is a picture of the tablelands on a sunny day.  We hiked up to just below where the snow is. 


We took a boat tour on Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne--it was foggy going out but the fog cleared as we headed back to the dock, revealing phenomenal views of the rocks surrounding this "pond".  In Newfoundland, a pond is what we would call a lake. 


The Green Garden Trail had some very steep sections.  I rented hiking poles to do this hike due to the uneven ground and steep hills.  All of the hills were worth the effort for the views at the end of the trail.  The red muskoka chairs are often seen at the end of a trail in Canada's National Parks. 




I took lots more pictures on our trip but I think this is the end of sharing them on my blog.  Thanks for your interest in our trip!  We highly recommend Newfoundland as an adventurous destination. 

I will link up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning.

11 comments:

  1. A very beautiful trip - the scenery is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing place you visited! Thanks for sharing the photos of your trip, Gail. I enjoyed them! Glad you finished up your placemats. The sunflowers you're stitching are beautiful! Happy Sunday stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like the idea of a comfy chair at the finish of the trail. Those place mats are so nice and will be greatly appreciated at Christmas I’m sure. You made a cloth book for amber when she was a baby! Josh is now enjoying it. I must admit the colours aren’t that bright anymore. It’s had quite a few washes! Sarah. Quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your placements are wonderful and very creative!
    Thanks for sharing more photos of your trip. That looks like challenging hiking. Beautiful area.
    Never heard of cheese tax, but coco is an expert too! Finn is the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the look in Finn's eyes is pure love! Those very creative place mats will delight someone and your cross stitching is lovely as well. I'm so happy you got to see Gros Morne. It is a provincial and I think national treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cheerful book for your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous scenery, and what a wonderful trip. Love the lighthouse placemat. Your sunflower piece is looking spectacular. That Finn gets me every time with how adorable he is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your placemats look fabulous and what an adorable cloth book. I still have my daughter's . Such a beautiful area that you visited. The national park looks like an amazing place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have often seen pictures of those cloth books and wondered how hard they were go make. They certainly are wonderful gifts for a little one. Thanks for sharing photos of your recent trip, it looked like you enjoyed the challenging hikes. I love going on boat rides too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous adventures and scenery to match! I enjoyed each and every one! Love all your photos of Finn, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful trip to Newfoundland, an beautiful photos! I love the alphabet book, so cute!

    ReplyDelete