Saturday, August 26, 2023

Two Quilts Pin Basted, Navy Scrappy Blocks, Sunflowers and Visitors

 It is so much easier on the knees and the back to pin baste quilts on a table rather than the floor.  I took advantage of the tables at the Ingersoll Creative Arts Centre this past week to get two quilts ready for quilting.  The first one is a pattern by Christine at Tesselate Quilts.  I pieced the top over a year ago and it has been hanging out in the pile of completed tops for too long!   



My Kaffe Fassett Overlapping Tiles quilt was also pin basted this week. I have a quilting plan for both of these quilts--using my walking foot.  I hope to get to quilting them over the next month or so. In the meantime, I have some gifts to make that have a deadline.


I brought my navy scraps to the sewing day and made four 6.5" square slabs with my tiny scraps.  I will make a navy pineapple log cabin block this week as I have all the pieces cut out and ready to go.  These blocks are for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects this year.  I think most people have already made dark blue blocks but I didn't so I made them now. 


My sunflowers cross stitch had a little bit of progress -- We have company this week--Our daughter and Finn are here for a visit. We went to see "Much Ado About Nothing" in Stratford one evening and to a family BBQ another day.  There was not as much stitching time this week as usual. 


I discovered why my parsley plant has not been producing much parsley this year.  This caterpillar will turn into a Black Swallowtail butterfly. It is very fond of parsley!


Finn loves to lay in the sun!  My husband and I were reading in the gazebo, staying in the shade. 



There was a trip to the pet store to get dog food one day early in the week. Finn gets very excited to there and doesn't like to leave the store. You can see his quilt that I made him a few years ago in this picture. It helps to protect the car seats, when he sits on it!


We took a long walk in Port Stanley one evening and went all the way out to the end of the pier. 


We were rewarded with a beautiful sunset as we got back to the car. 


I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Stitchers in the morning and the RSC folks today. 

10 comments:

  1. Getting quilts basted and ready for quilting is always a big job, and you did two! Way to go, Gail! How fun to have your daughter and Finn visiting, too. The place you walked at has a beautiful view! Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you've got a lot of fun projects ready to work on,if you look at the overlapping tile blocks they do tend to look like they over lap each other lol, there's a whole lot of X's going on in that cross stitching lol my sister always cross-stitched,I didn't have patience for it I'm trying to learn embroidery & it's as tedious as the cross-stitchings lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful sunset! If I need to start to machine quilt more I will need to check and see if I can find a place to pin baste on a table also - I did the last one that was a large toddler quilt on the floor and it did make me ache more than I remember it doing - I usually don't need to do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like your daughter and Finn had a great visit! I also had caterpillars on my parsley but the swallowtails are so beautiful. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful sunset photo - I love all the pink. Your scrappy blocks are fun. Always love seeing photos of Finn he is just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those quilts are so pretty. I am looking forward to seeing your quilting plans. It is good to have a large table to pin baste on. How nice to have a visit from your daughter and Finn. The cross-stitch can wait. I like seeing it though. That sunset is so pretty. Enjoy your gift making.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cross stitch! It always make me smile whenever I see it. Finn looks so happy getting a car ride. What a beautiful sunset you were able to capture. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have those beautiful catepillars in my garden and, not only do they eat my parsley, but they also love dill! Thankfully both herbs come back with vigor in the Fall. Lovely quilts to finish up and those slabs are really pretty too. Have a good final August week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous place to walk, beautiful views. We pin baste quilts up at the community center for our guild once a month, and you can do your own there too during that visit. Love your navy blocks! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to get a quilt or two pinned up and ready for the next step.

    ReplyDelete