Friday, August 4, 2023

UFO Progress, Yellow Blocks, Sunflowers and Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve, Nfld.

 Christine and I got together this week for a few hours to sew and chat.  Christine cut out squares for a disappearing nine patch baby quilt and I finished sewing my Overlapping Tiles quilt top.   I have not trimmed it yet--I may even do that after it is quilted to avoid all those bias edges as I quilt. The backing fabric is ready--it is the turquoise with the pink flowers that is the constant in the quilt top.  My husband held the top for me to take a picture --it was a bit breezy!



I bought myself a Half Rectangle Triangle ruler at Quilt Con in Atlanta and tried it out to make these blocks in March.  I finally got around to sewing them together this week.  I am pleased that my points are all pointy!  I have to decide if I will add a border or not.  I am leaning towards an asymmetrical border, varying the width of the border on each side.  I will have to get some coordinating fabric out this week and see how that might look before I cut anything. 


Yellow is the colour of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge so I got my yellow scrap bin out and made four 6.5" square slabs and a yellow pineapple block.  I am up to nine pineapple blocks now. 





I am listening to an audiobook, Talking to Canadians, by Rick Mercer, read by Rick himself.  I listen as I walk each day as well as when I am cross stitching.  My husband and I watched "The Mercer Report" on TV for years and even attended a taping of the show at the CBC in Toronto years ago.  


On our recent vacation in Newfoundland, my husband and I took a private guided tour of Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve near Raleigh, Nfld.  Our guide was Ted, a local businessman who has a particular interest in the plants and geology of Burnt Cape.  After telling us the history of Raleigh as we drove around this small community, he drove us out to the cape.  The conditions are very harsh there, with little or no soil for plants to grow so at first glance, it appears that it is just a barren rocky area. Ted had us looking closer to see a great variety of very small plants that we had to be careful not to step on!  He also showed us a sea cave, carved out by the relentless waves of the ocean.  





That is a Canadian dime to show the scale of these tiny flowers.  The next picture shows the entire plant. 



The orange on this rock was caused by seagull poop!


Ted called these red growths British Soldiers...


Some of the trees and shrubs, all very small and close to the ground, were over 100 years old. 





The sea cave entrance.  


It was quite cold and windy on the cape so we all wore our hats and warm clothes. 


Ted recommended this book so I bought a copy at the next store that we were in.  We used it several times on our trip to identify plants that we saw on our hikes. 



These are frost polygons, caused by the frost heaving the rocks out of the ground into these patterns. Each depression in the ground creates a microclimate where small plants can grow. 


This small purple flower is a type of primula. 


These yellow flowers, the Burnt Cape Cinquefoil, are only found at two places in Nfld., one of them being Burnt Cape. 





The Burnt Cape Ecological Reserve is across the bay from Raleigh. 



Sunset over the Burnt Cape, taken from in front of our accommodations in Raleigh. 


I hope you are not getting bored with my vacation pictures.  I still have a few more places I would like to share with you over the next few weeks. 

Finn likes to keep at least one paw touching my daughter at all times.  The second picture was taken while I was talking to Finn on FaceTime this week. 



I will link up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge on Saturday morning and with The Slow Sunday Stitchers on Sunday morning.  Take care. 

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Gail. Of course, I enjoyed seeing all your blocks and your Overlapping Tiles is beautiful. What an interesting place you visited in Nl and a bit ashamed to say as a Newfoundlander, had not heard of... I had to look it up to see where exactly it was. I too was fascinated by those wee little flowers growing in such harsh conditions. Nature is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, I don't even know where to begin! I love your RSC pineapple blocks and the way your dark gray fabric settles the bright colors, the Overlapping Tiles is similarly fabulous in the way the cool blue serves as a counterpoint to the sizzling citrus hues. Your needlework is mesmerizing. And your vacation photos -- nature is truly magnificent in those pockets of the world that remain less disturbed by humans!! The colors of the rock, sea and sky are awe-inspiring, and the plants are just fascinating. They are begging to be stitched in embroidery thread or reproduced as appliqué...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing what you've been working on, Gail! The triangle in a rectangle blocks make a neat design, especially where they come together in the center. I love those pineapple blocks, too - pretty in every color. That looks like a fascinating hike at the ecological reserve - so many interesting plants! They remind of what you see here in the mountain tundra, up above treeline. Very tiny, low to the ground plants, with little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! Love all your pics! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isnt nature wonderful! The area you visited was wild and windy but the tiny low to the ground plants were thriving in one conditions. You just had to look hard to spot some of them

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your quilting! We also used to watch the Rick Mercer Report and enjoyed it. We must get to Newfoundland sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip you had! The yellow pineapple block is beautiful and your stitchery is gorgeous. That bee looks like it could fly right off the cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are great photos Gail. Its lovely to see pictures of new places! The seagull poop looks like lichen. We have so many seagulls here and I've seen patches of bright lichen or maybe it is poop. I will look more closely next time I come across it! Finn is such a handsome boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all your vacation photos. I will never be able to go to Newfoundland, so seeing it through your eyes is good for my soul. Isn't nature amazing. I'm not sure if I said it before, but I love your sunflower stitch on the bright teal fabric. Very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy the travel/vacation photos as they take me to places I will never get to see in person. The half-rectangle project is very intriguing.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. How very interesting your trip was. Thank you for sharing the pictures and information about the flowers. That Finn, what a little stinker! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The 9 pineapple blocks look great together. What a treat to see your vacation pictures and learn about the flora of Newfoundland.

    ReplyDelete