Saturday, August 12, 2023

Placemats for Meals on Wheels, Sunflowers, Ottawa and a Field Trip

The members of the Oxford Quilter's Guild are making placemats for Meals on Wheels recipients for Christmas so each member of the guild has been asked to make 4-5 placemats.  I decided to get mine done early. So far, I have one done and three in progress. This first one was made with some charm squares that were in my stash. 


This one still needs to be quilted. 


I have had this tool fabric in my stash for a while and I'm sure someone will like it!


I used more of the lighthouse fabric on the back of this nautical themed placemat. 


The last two are quilted now and the binding is on--tomorrow's job is to do the hand stitching. 


Finn was woken from his nap to model my daughter's finished Ottawa cross stitch picture. 


I worked on the darker coloured sunflower this week.  I should be able to get it done this coming week during slow stitching time. 


My husband took me on a field trip to a surprise destination this week.  He had heard that there were quilts at the Lambton Heritage Museum and thought I might like to see them.  Besides the guild quilts, there were some antique quilts on display as well. 




The museum was recently renovated with new displays installed, highlighting various aspects of life in Lambton County over the years. 


One of the displays was about the Campbell Family.   The plough in the picture below was originally purchased by my husband's 3x great grandfather in Wardsville, 30 km from the farm where he lived.  Archie was very strong and carried the plough home, walking those 30 km. 


There was a picture from a Campbell family reunion that took place in Lambton County in the early 1980's.  My husband is a descendent of the original Campbell settlers so he was at that picnic.  I took a close look at the people in the picture and found my husband!  He's wearing a blue golf shirt.  I don't think he was expecting to find a picture of himself at the museum!


While out for a walk one morning this past week, I noticed the sun shining on this spider's web. 
 

We have had rain off and on all day today.  Tonight, we were out for a walk and noticed these interesting clouds with the sun shining from behind them.  


I will try to add a few more Newfoundland pictures to my next post.  I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. 

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely outing your hubby took you to, especially to see some quilts. Such a surprise to find out about the family history too. Meals on Wheels recipients will surely love the place mats everyone in your guild is stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely husband you have! Great bonus to see a piece about his past family too! Those are nice place mats and such a nice idea. Love your daughters city cross stitch and your beautiful happy sunflowers. Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great outting your husband planned - the quilts look terrific - neat about the family stuff there too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that your husband planned your fun outing! Love the idea of the place mats for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those placemats are fun, and I bet the recipients will enjoy them! Your sunflower cross-stitch just gets prettier and prettier. The quilt exhibit looks like a wonderful outing, and what an interesting surprise for your husband! Enjoy your stitching today, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The spider web is amazing! Your sunflower stitching is so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea on getting the placemats done early. Christmas will be here in no time. Your stitching is beautiful. I hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the placemats and the sunflower stitching, what a wonderful outing surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great field trip -- quilts and family history. I love seeing spider webs with the sunshine on them. They are just so intricate and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete