Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Flannel Vortex DONE!


I had some time yesterday to do some sewing so I laid out the backing, batting and top of the flannel vortex on the kitchen floor and did some pin basting.  I would really rather do this on a table but no table was available at the time.  My back likes me to use a table!!  LOL.  

All pin basted and ready to quilt!

I used my walking foot to do a wavy cross hatch. There are a lot of seams in this quilt and I wanted to make sure I hit most of the pieces of fabric with a line of quilting.

Here is a close up of the quilting.

I trimmed it up and made binding with some of the golden brown flannel with the animals on it.


All done and ready to give to a friend who is having a rough time at the moment.


In an effort to use up more of my flannel stash, I pieced the backing from odd hunks and chunks of fabrics that I used on the front as well as a few leftover slabs from the front. Here is a picture of the back:  


It is a very cozy quilt, just how I like my quilts to be.  FYI--the label has been added to the bottom right corner in the picture but I covered it up by turning up the corner of the quilt.

12 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic improv quilt Gail! It's amazing that you could baste and quilt it in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous!!! Great job well done.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Flannel scrap quilts are the coziest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cozy quilt! So kind of you to gift it to a friend in need. I am sure they will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to snuggle with this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should make a flannel vortex. I certainly have enough flannel bits and bobs to use up. And how cozy it must be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quilt. What a great gift for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way that you quilted this quilt. It looks gorgeous! Your friend is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never worked with flannel in a quilt, but it does sound nice and cozy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet thing to do for a friend!!

    ReplyDelete