Saturday, February 2, 2019

Challenge Project and Frank

I've been working on my Frank Lloyd Wright Oak Park Office Window again this week and I have turned the second corner!  I will be working on Frank again tomorrow for Slow Sunday Stitching. 


This week, I have been working on a Black, White and one other colour challenge for the London Modern Quilt Guild Show in September.  Each person in the guild was given a half yard of three fabrics: black, white and one other colour--Here are my fabrics:


The task was to create a 20 by 20" modern quilt using only these three fabrics.  I have been thinking about what I might make for months now and this week, finally made my quilt.


I used my new Drunkard's Path rulers (again!)  It's fun to see how many different ways the blocks can be put together to make unique quilts.   I was in a bit of a conundrum with the quilting and the quilt spent a few days on the design wall for me to look at it and figure out what to do next.   Friday afternoon, I plunged in and quilted the coral part 1/2" from the edges.


Using coral thread for all of the quilting, I sewed one inch out from the coral part of the quilt from  point to point and then echo quilted the rest of the black and white parts of the quilt.  I was not sure how this would look, but I am very pleased with the results!


The backing fabric was in my stash.



The finished quilt:



I added the coral binding yesterday and finished the hand sewing today.  I will add a hanging sleeve before the deadline in the spring.


Finn likes to sit here and look out the window at the squirrels. 

I've decided to keep track of my stash numbers this year.  I would like to use more than I add to the stash this year. January was a good month in this regard!

Fabric used/removed from the stash in January:  17.1 yards
Fabric purchased/added to the stash in January:   11.5 yards
Net Fabric used/removed from the stash in January:  5.6 yards
Net Fabric used/removed from the stash in 2019:  5.6 yards

I will be linking up with Kathy and her band of slow stitchers in the morning.   

8 comments:

  1. I love that little modern quilt! I think the echo quilting really complements it. FLW is looking great!. It seems to be moving along quite quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. quilting is great - suits the little quilt perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your quilt for the show... and you're ready so far ahead.... no last minute sewing for you?!?! I always seem to be rushing to get challenges done on time! The quilt name that came to my mind as I was reading your post is "Modern Drunk"! It's wonderful... well done! ENjoy your slow stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little drunkards path quilt, it's one of my favorite patterns and I haven't made one in several years. FLW is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great mini and your echo quilting is perfect! Nice progress on your cross stitch. Finn looks like he's got a good spot for keeping his eye on everything that's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your modern mini quilt is amazing. Love the simplicity of the three colours and as for the drunkard's path ruler, it looks fabulous. Your hand quilting is perfet! Love that you used the colour coral. Fabulous backing print, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the little mini quilt. Very graphic in that colorway. How about "newspaper" for a name. "Black and White and Red(read) all over"......

    And the new FLW is coming right along. Love the colors in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a striking quilt block. I love the way you decided to quilt it - almost like ripples in a pond.

    ReplyDelete