Saturday, May 8, 2021

Placemat Production

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, aunts, grandmothers and others who nurture their friends and families!  

I have been working hard this week to finish off my 12 placemats for Meals on Wheels.  I used up some of my batting scraps strips, zigzagged together for this project--the bin is still full...sigh. I fear that all of my scrap bins are bottomless, somewhat like Mary Poppin's duffle bag. The scraps for these three placemats are leftovers from a quilt I made for my aunt a couple of years ago.  The placemats are about 12” by 18”. 


 I made 4 placemats which would be suitable for someone who likes gardening or woodworking.  




The other placemats can be seen in previous blogposts.  I thought I was finished with making placemats for a while...I showed the placemats to the Oxford Guild at our meeting this week and suggested that we take on this project for the Meals on Wheels recipients in Oxford County.  I had asked the agency how many placemats they would need--only 90.  Most people at the zoom meeting the other night agreed to make 2-3 placemats by the end of November so that they can be delivered with the Christmas meals. I have lots more scraps to make more placemats and hope to get those done this coming week.  

I am participating in a round robin with the Toronto Modern Guild.  I made my centre block this week and emailed a picture to the person who will make the next part. I received a picture of the quilt to which I will be adding a few 6" blocks this past week as well.  I have been thinking of ideas and will work on gathering fabrics soon. 


The colours are a bit off in the picture.  The background is Kona Steel gray and the pink pieces are actually magenta. Those yellow bits are more green that they appear...  I may have to try to take another picture in better light. 

I finished the dark green leaves and moved on to the hearts and stems this week on Love Birds.  You can see I don't have too much more to do to finish off the wreath of flowers. 



My daughter also added some stitches to her Munich cityscape this week.  This side of the picture is just about done. 


She and Finn have had a challenging week.  Finn has an infection and is now wearing a cone and taking painkillers.  He had an injection of antibiotics at the vet's and is on the mend, thankfully.  He was really not feeling very well at all. The medication makes him sleepy. He's not allowed to go for a walk until he sees the vet again. He is eating normally again--you know something is wrong when he does not demand ask for his food!


My husband and I did a tour of our gardens this week and have a long list of jobs to do over the next few weeks.  We hope to work on the yard for a couple of hours each day to get everything ready for the upcoming season.  I noticed a few more flowers in bloom this week including the bleeding heart, some purple flowers and tulips.  Does anyone know what the purple flowers are called?  The fuzzy white and green flowers are on our fothergilla bush. 







We noticed a robin has taken up residence on the windowsill outside our laundry room.  There are two beautiful blue eggs in the nest.  We have had nests on our windowsill before.  It's amazing how fast the babies grow once they have hatched. 


Here's a picture of Finn when he was feeling better earlier in the week. 


I will link up with Kathy in the morning.   If you want to see my Rainbow Scrap Challenge project, you can see it at this post

8 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about making placemats from my scraps as well. Can you share the dimension of your mats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Finn, I hope he's feeling better soon. Your wedding cross stitch is nearly done, I'm looking forward to seeing it completed. Your daughters cross stitch also looks near completion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those flowers are bluebells. Aren't they pretty?? Poor Finn. I don't believe there is a dog on this earth that likes them. I am surprised it is still around Finn's neck. He is such a good dog. More beautiful placemats. I believe there is magic that happens in scrap bins....they never empty. Your wedding cross stitch is progressing beautifully, as is your daughter's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, poor Finn. I hope he recovers quickly. Those flowers are bluebells. I have a few of them myself. Love the themed placemats. Love birds is really coming along as is your daughter's Munich stitching. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the beautiful placemats you make.
    Poor Finn, hoje he feels better soon
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your placemats are lovely, as is your stitching! Poor Finn, hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making placemats is a kind thing to do, especially doing some more masculine themed ones too. Poor Finn, do hope he gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice design for the placemats and great way to use some favorite fabrics. MoW clients will enjoy them.
    Your modern sewing machine piece is awesome.
    Poor Finn,glad he's on the mend. What pretty spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete