Friday, May 7, 2021

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Red Scraps!

This year, I am trying to use my scraps in various projects to see if I can make some room in my scrap bins.  This month, the colour is Red at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge so I pulled out the red scrap bin. 

Each month, I am making a block or two for this project.  The pattern, Halldora, by Gudrun Erla is found in her book "Quilts of Iceland" which I purchased from her at QuiltCon in Nashville two years ago.  The red knot fabric has been in my stash for years and keeps showing up in various scrappy projects. 


Here are the six blocks I have made so far. 


I am in the process of making 12 placemats for our local Meals on Wheels.  They will be given to their clients at Christmas.  Our 20 member local guild are making 240 placemats all together.  I finished these two placemats this week and you can see I incorporated some red scraps in them. One of them has a red backing as well --I used a fat quarter for this.  I quilted them with the walking foot on my DSM. 




Since the colour this month is Red, here are some beautiful red tulips that I saw earlier this week. 


I will link up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge folks tomorrow morning. 

10 comments:

  1. Your Halldora blocks look great all together. You'll have a lovely bright quilt at the end of the year. Pretty tulips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that Halldora block! It would be great for the RSC next year (I'm doing pineapple and star blocks this year).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those RSC blocks are going to look really good in a quilt. Love the centre fabric in your table mats, such fun and a nice little project to run up when you want some quick sewing time! Beautiful tulips, a great display.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fun block! I don't think I've seen it before.
    What nice placemats for MoW.
    what pretty ruffled tulips. You can't beat red tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Halldora block looks like a fun block to play with, your blocks look great together. And I love your placemats. Simple and very well done. Beautiful red tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those Halldora blocks are wonderful! That will be a great-looking quilt. Lovely red tulips, too, always such a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Halldora blocks! They'll make a great design when all together. The garden of red tulips is wonderful, too. I really love Spring flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is funny how we try to sew up the scraps, yet we never seem to empty them. The harder we try the least the levels of scraps go down. Not being able to go to the quilt shop helps. Beautiful projects and tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RED!! Fabric and flowers... absolutely lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks look so nice and colourful together. Its amazing that just doing one or two a month how quickly they all add up. It's a great idea for your guild members to be making placemats for Meals on Wheels clients, theyvare sure to be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete