Saturday, June 19, 2021

So Close to the Finish Line


 The annual Quilt Canada conference took place online over the past few days and while I have been watching the presentations and quilt shows, I have been stitching away on Love Birds. I finished off the green leaves, both dark and light, and I have started on the bride bird.  


I am very close to being finished all the stitching on this project...a wedding gift for a friend's daughter and her husband. (They got married in November 2020.) I have been working on Love Birds since Christmas. 

The pineapple blocks are all done!  Each block will finish at 8" square in the quilt and there are 12 blocks. There are 71 pieces of fabric in each block--those logs are 1/2" wide.  This small wall hanging has 852 pieces of fabric in it.  The quilt will be 24" by 32" when finished. 


You would think that my orange and green scrap bins would be depleted, but no...

I carefully rearranged the blocks today to make sure that there were no matching fabrics touching each other and started sewing them together.  I am pinning each seam in several spots to make sure the seams match. I have been contemplating quilting designs and think I have made a decision.  Stay tuned!



This week's flower colours are red and yellow.  The first flower is a Stella D'Oro Daylily.  Next up, some Dalias in a planter on our patio followed by our first Prickly Pear Cactus bloom. 




We have a mulch pile in our driveway so our job over the next few days is to get it spread on all of the flower gardens.  We did some in the front gardens today until it started to rain.  I love how everything looks when it is all done--so fresh and neat and tidy. 

My knitting project had a few more rows added.  I am getting better at using the double pointed needles. They are made of bamboo so the stitches do not slip off--this is a good thing!


My husband and I celebrated Father's Day on Friday with a take out dinner from a local restaurant and then we went out for ice cream for dessert.  I had Black Cherry- my Dad's favourite flavour and my husband had Orange Pineapple, his Dad's favourite.  


Happy Father's Day to all the Dads and everyone who nurtures someone else!

Finn had a bath this week and is quite fluffy and soft.  My daughter has started a new cityscape! I'm not sure of the city yet.  Finn is very proud of her work even though he doesn't know what place is being depicted yet either. 


I will link up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers at Kathy's blog in the morning. 

11 comments:

  1. Great progress on Love Birds crossstitch.
    Wow there's a great amount of pieces into that small quilt...unbelivable.
    Finn is so cute and he looks very well. ♥
    Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing Love birds finished. It really will make a beautiful wedding gift. The patterns made by your pineapple blocks are gorgeous, so many pieces of fabric. Finn is a cutie, with all that hair he looks like he needs a bow to keep the hair out of his eyes LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Birds is looking great! I can't wait to find out the location of your daughters latest stitching. Looks like Finn is wondering also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors and impressed by the precision on your pineapple quilt blocks. And Love Birds is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The love birds cross stitching is beautiful! Is it hard to keep track of where you're supposed to be stitching while watching online? Love the pineapple blocks, so pretty, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit to making a mistake in counting at one point and then had to do a little unstitching...I’m back on track now!

      Delete
  6. Your Love Birds cross-stitch is beautiful - what a lovely gift for some newlyweds! I enjoyed seeing your pretty flowers, too. The Father's Day dinner sounded fun and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are almost there! It’s beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much eye candy! I love the pineapple blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful progress on your stitching, and I love the pineapple blocks! Finn is his usual photogenic self. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pineapple blocks are gorgeous, you have a lot more patience than me, stitching all those tiny little strips together! And Finn looks gorgeous too, as usual

    ReplyDelete