Saturday, June 12, 2021

Yellow and Gray Churn Dash, Pineapples, etc.

Despite some sewing machine challenges (it's in for repair now), I managed to finish the yellow and gray scrappy churn dash quilt this past week. I love this colour combination!  The backing is a Libs Elliott print which I had in my stash---but only one yard so I had to add a yellow strip to make it big enough for the backing.  The binding is a yellow Kona solid. The quilting was done with bright yellow Aurifil 50wt thread. 




 At a Zoom sew-in on Tuesday, I made a block for the September Comfort quilt for the Elgin Piecemakers.  The block is called "Folded Corners" and uses a light, a medium and dark fabric in one colour. I found three appropriate fabrics in my pink drawer.


After finishing the block, I pulled out my pineapple blocks and worked on making each block bigger, skinny strip by skinny strip...  As you can see, I am getting closer to having all 12 of my blocks done.  This is how I am going to arrange the blocks. I will be focusing on getting these blocks done and put together this coming week. 

I started a new knitting project this week.  This is the first time I have knitted something with double pointed needles so getting started was a bit of a challenge.  I am getting the hang of it now.  There are cables in this project which is why I was practicing them earlier this year. 



I added lots of dark green stitches to Love Birds this week.  There are still a few more dark green leaves to do and then some lighter green as well. 


My daughter also did some stitching on her butterfly picture. She has started another city scape as well but no pictures to share yet. 


Finn has been sporting his very fashionable doggy bandana this week. 


Our garden seems to have a lot of purple and white blooms this week.   This first one is lavender, backlit by the sun. 


Black Lace Elderberry Bush


Salvia


Japanese Lilac Tree


I will link up with the slow Sunday stitchers in the morning. 

13 comments:

  1. Great finish, I too love the colour combo. Your new block is fabulous, I think this is the reason I love patchwork. Put three shades of one colour together and magic happens! Both yours and your daughters embroideries are really coming together. Your garden plants look lovely as does Finn!😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Pineapple blocks look amazing! The yellow and grey Churn Dash is a beautiful finish. Such a lovely backing fabric, too. Both yours and your daughters embroideries are coming along nicely. How sweet Finn looks in his doggy bandana. He always looks like he is having a good hair day =) Your garden is looking a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Churn Dash quilt is so pretty and that Pineapple Quilt? That one is going to be a stunner! As always, Finn is adorable and looks exceptionally handsome sporting his bandana. Double-points are a good way to go with knitting but then I learned about Magic Loop and I've let my double-points go by the wayside now. Are you making socks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your big yellow and gray Churn Dash quilt. Have you known that Yellow and gray are the Pantone colors for 2021? And the backing is just perfect. Congrats on this beautiful finish.
    The embroidery front are having great progress.
    And Finn is lovely with his new hair cut and bandana.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The churn dash is so pretty and the pineapple quilt is exquisite!! Your needlework is so neat and pretty. You’ve been busy! Finn is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gray and yellow churn dash quilt is just beautiful! I love that color combination. Lots of other fun things going on with your sewing, too! I always enjoy a weekly glimpse of adorable Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that churn dash quilt and all those blocks. The pineapple blocks are just fabulous. Once you get the hang of it, double pointed needles aren't all that bad. Your cross-stitch looks like it is almost done as does your daughter's butterfly. Thanks for the Finn pic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt finish! I love those pineapple blocks! Your flowers are gorgeous as always, and Finn his dapper self. Your stitching and your daughter's are beautiful! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of color and time with needle and thread in your week. Gorgeous stitching by both you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the finish! I have that same Libs Elliot fabric in green... I love it in every colour!
    Can't wait to see what you are knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All looking great! Those pineapple blocks look wonderful, but would be too of a challenge for me, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yellow and grey is such a lovely colour combination.

    The pineapple blocks look so complicated! IT's going to be fabulous.

    Love the butterfly too, and Finn is looking gorgeous as always

    ReplyDelete
  13. great finish on the yellow and grey quilt and yes, it is a terrific combination.
    Yay your pineapple blocks are great.
    That knitting looks challenging. I've used round needles but never double pointed. Looking forward to seeing more.
    pretty stitchery and flowers.

    ReplyDelete