Saturday, September 30, 2023

Fall Leaves, Sunflowers and a Swatch

A couple of weeks ago, I pieced a fall leaves wall hanging and this week, I quilted and bound it.  The background fabric is Essex linen and the print fabrics had all been in my stash for several years. My goal for this project was to use up almost all of these fabrics while making a gift for my MIL.  I quilted it with straight lines using my walking foot.  



I used the Essex linen for the binding and hanging sleeve and finished off the hand sewing this afternoon. 


Here is the finished wall hanging, ready to bring to quilt guild this week for show and tell before giving it to my MIL at Thanksgiving dinner next weekend.  You can see how I used the leftovers on the back.  A few small pieces landed in my scrap bins.



Here is a picture of my somewhat wrinkly Sunflower cross stitch project.  I'm hoping to finish the lower left quadrant this week and then move on to the final quarter.  


I made a swatch of the wool for my new hat...I had to do this three times before getting it right.  I think I am ready to start the hat now...  I love the colours in this yarn. 

I went to our guild sewing day this past week and brought along my modern sampler blocks as well as the background fabric I purchased a few weeks ago.  These blocks were made during a block of the month organized by a friend from another guild from Sept 2020 to August 2021.  The original BOM was organized by the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild and is available online for free.  I needed 13 blocks for my planned layout, so I made the circle block as an extra. 




Trying out this 4.5" sashing for size...


By the end of the day, I had all the blocks together.  I will bring this along to the next sewing day to add the borders.  I have an idea percolating in my head...   I am aiming for a twin sized quilt. 


Finn was in a deep sleep on the couch when my daughter took this picture.  He's got a certain style!


 I picked up a quilt from the long armers this week so I hope to work on the binding tomorrow for my slow Sunday stitching.  I should have another finish to show next week.  I will link up with Kathy in the morning. 

12 comments:

  1. The leaves are so cute, I like that the colors aren't the usual autumn colors. Your MIL will love it, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love these leaves, it's a very pretty small quilt! Your sunflower embroidery is coming along very nicely, a lot of progress this week! Love the little bees ;) Love the color of this yarn too, even if green is not my favorite color, this one is very chherful!
    Wonderful modern sampler blocks, the dark sashings are making them poping up. Beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing all these beauties, and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric on you sunflower cross stitch. I look forward to seeing your progress on this each week. Those quilted leaves are so pretty. It feels good to make something pretty from stash fabrics. I have rarely swatched. I know I should, but I like to dive right in to the pattern. I like that green yarn. Your modern blocks look great put together. I look forward to seeing how you expand them into a twin quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fall wall hanging is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you worked the colors of the leaves in your wall hanging. Truly lovely and the quilting is spot on. I trust Finn was having sweet dreams and no bunnies or squirrels were teasing him along his merry nap. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a delightful post Gail! Congrats on a lovely Thanksgiving gift for your MIL! I adore the sunflower mandala - a perfect autumn stitch! And oh that Finn is such a sweet boy - he makes everyone smile! Enjoy your Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Wall hanging for your MiL. I love the yarn for your hat. Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your leaf wall-hanging is so pretty, Gail! I really like the Essex linen as the border fabric. I have some in my stash and have never known what to use it for, but now you've given me some inspiration! Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The leaf wall-hanging is lovely. I'm sure your MIL will be thrilled. Love the sunflower project, and the color of your new hat. Just when I think Finn can't get any cuter, you have this adorable picture. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like your Autum Leaves wallhanging, a lovely gift indeed. I've never sewen with Essex Linen, not even sure if we have it here. Finn always looks cute, he does it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fall Leaves is gorgeous and a wonderful gift for your dear MIL. Your Sunflower stitch is so vibrant and beautiful . Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The wall hanging is just perfect for the season. I am sure your MIL will love it.

    ReplyDelete