Saturday, August 25, 2018

Frank and Another Baby Quilt

I want to start today's post with a thank you.  On Friday, an envelope arrived in the mail with more DMC #318 thread in it...and it matched the thread I have been using on my Frank Lloyd Wright Fountain Glass counted cross stitch project.  Thank you Karla for sending the thread to me all the way from Kansas!  The thread wrapped around the lower cardboard holder is my thread and I cannot tell the difference between it and the two skeins sent by Karla. I now have enough to finish my picture!  (Thanks again to Cathy, Carole, Pat, Kim, and Paige who also sent me thread during the making of this picture!  It takes a village...)


I did some more of the silver metallic thread outlining today and then worked on some more grey stitching.  I had some distractions while I was stitching today...my daughter and Finn came to visit for the weekend.  My husband and my daughter went to a Tigers game in Detroit and I am home dog sitting Finn. We had a great time---we went for a long walk with my friend, Pat, at the park and tonight another friend, Karen, came over to meet Finn. I made some progress on the stitching while Finn had a nap but then he woke up and my stitching time disappeared!


You can see where my attention and my camera were focussed!


I hope to get a bit more stitching done tomorrow.  I will be linking up with Kathy and the other Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning.  

Finn on our walk today. 

One of my colleagues at work is having a baby in September so I decided this week to make a baby quilt for the new addition. I don't have a lot of time to get it finished so I went with a super simple design using only stash fabric. 


I had about a yard of the owl fabric and about 1/2 a yard of each of the blue and green fabrics.  I kept cutting squares for the hourglass units until I ran out.  I had just enough of the owl fabric for the squares.  I got the blocks sewn together and then decided it needed borders but I was not sure what colour to use. I did not have enough of either the blue or green left to go all the way around the quilt. 


After sleeping on it for a night, I decided to use my leftovers from both colours for the border. 


  The finished top measures 41" square.  I found some blue and green flannel in my stash that was the perfect size for the backing (with one seam) and then did the pin basting on my kitchen floor.  I have done some of the quilting and hope to finish the entire quilt by the end of the week.  I will have to find some other fabric in the stash for the binding as I only have a few odd bits of these three fabrics left after making the quilt top.  Check back later this week to see the finished quilt.  My colleague starts her maternity leave on Friday so I want to give her the quilt on or before Friday. (She does not even know that I have a blog!)

Have a good week. 

12 comments:

  1. That will be a perfect gift for the baby--
    I love your stitchery--i am going to try to learn counted cross stitch; I've only every done stamped works...I would like to make some ornaments for my small tabletop Christmas tree...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great little baby quilt. It is wonderful that you were able to use all stash fabric. Finn is adorable as usual. I am so very glad that you now have enough floss to finish FLW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finn looks like the type of dog my granddaughters dog is - a Labradoodle I think she called her except her dog is black with a little white - it was very cute but can grow to be quite large

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the floss matched! And I love the bright colors in the cute owl baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great that the stitching friends have found the floss you need to finish this project... warm fuzzy feelings! Enjoy your stitching and time with Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your counted cross stitch looks great and so nice that others had the right thread! I really enjoy cross stitching! I think your colleague is really going to love that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great baby quilt and so wonderful that you've received thread from allover to finish your project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the baby quilt - reminds me I need to get one done before November, humm. Your counted cross looks perfect - CC is one thing I tried and could not get with the program!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see how Finn could distract you! Lovely baby quilt too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finn is such a cute little dog! It is nice to be dog sitting. In the middle of September I also will be dog sitting for a couple of weeks.
    Great babyquilt, and nice you were able to use fabrics from your stores.
    Nice that you receive matching tread for your cross stitching. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My floss is not being used lately so I'm glad you can use it! Finn looks like he could take you for a walk and not the other way around. What a cutie!
    Nice baby quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I rather enjoy making baby quilts, and your has turned out beautifully. Isn't it great when we can make a project from what we have in our stash. What a happy looking dog you have been entertaining!

    ReplyDelete