Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Swap Blocks and Foothills Block #18

During sewing time with Christine last night, I finished up the last of my 4th set of 24 swap blocks.  The Elgin Piecemakers Guild is doing a swap of these blocks over the next year or so.  We are to use neutral colours (white, beige, tan, brown, black grey) to make the blocks.  I wanted to get all of my swap blocks for September to December done before the end of August so last night, I achieved my goal.  I have 96 blocks done!  They are all bagged up and ready to go for each of our meetings this fall.



I also made one more Foothills quilt block. The quilt has 25 blocks in it and I have completed 18 blocks.  I am using my husband's discarded shirts for this project. I am starting to think about what I will use to sash my blocks...I don't have enough shirt fabric in one colour to use so I may use a solid colour (navy??) for the sashing.



I am going to piece the shirt backs together to make the backing of the quilt.  The bin of shirts is overflowing so I hope I can get a lid on the bin when this quilt is done. There will likely be more shirt quilts in my future.

On the weekend, my husband and I made mustard relish.  We were channeling our ancestors as we made it with my Mom's recipe in my Dad's soup pot and we did the processing in my husband's grandmother's canning pot.  The last few times I made this relish, my Dad and I did it together.  I thought about him as we chopped and stirred.  I have enough relish to keep us going for a few years now!




On Sunday, one of the no reply commenters asked to see the porch at our B and B from our vacation. You can see our view of the boats in the harbour as well as the book I was reading. 


There was a nice breeze as we sat out here most days. 


This picture was taken one evening at the harbour. 


I thought you might like to see a few hiking pictures too.  These were taken on the Cup and Saucer trail on Manitoulin Island. 


This was called Angel Wing fungus for obvious reasons. 


The trail through the woods. 


I will continue to work on the foothills blocks.  I would like to finish this top soon so I can get it quilted and put it into the London Friendship Quilter's Guild show in October. 

6 comments:

  1. I really love your Foothill blocks! It looks amazing using shirts! Such gorgeous pictures too! You make me want to go on a hike now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the color choice in your blocks. The view from your porch is amazing. And the trail is inviting. What a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Foothills blocks! I never think to use my husbands old work shirts -- very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very smart to have all your swap blocks done ahead of the busy holiday seasons. Love that yellow and blue in your cast off shirt block. Navy would make a great sashing color. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such gorgeous photographs!
    Loved the family canning story... so many memories with the experience!
    Also love that you are making a quilt from your husband's shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blocks! I've never had mustard relish, but it looks good!
    Looks like a relaxing time on your get-away!

    ReplyDelete