Saturday, August 18, 2018

Slow Stitching on a Boat

My husband and I spent the last week on the Bruce Peninsula and Manitoulin Island.  It was our first vacation in a couple of years and was a much needed break from our normally busy lives. There is something magical about getting on a boat and going to an island that changes your mindset.  We slowed right down and spent some time each day reading on the verandah at our B and B in between, hiking, sight seeing and eating some delicious meals. I actually read an entire book while we were away---something that I don't often take the time to do.

The ferry to Manitoulin Island--the Chi-Cheemaun--has recently been refurbished and a mural has been painted on the bow. I took these pictures as the ferry arrived in South Baymouth on Manitoulin Island to take us back to Tobermory.



I did some slow stitching in the car on our way to and from the Bruce Peninsula as well as on the boat  on our way home.



We sat by a window in the lounge as I stitched and my husband read a book.  I didn't see anyone else doing any handwork on the ferry but, for me, it was the perfect way to spend my time during the 1 hour and 45 minute journey. I did some more of the silver outlining at the top of the picture

as well as some cross stitching in the lower section.



Naturally, I took lots of pictures while we were away...here are a few of my favourites.  I'm not sure what type of butterfly this is but it was fun to watch it flit about.



This squirrel greeted us as we arrived at Misery Bay Provincial Park for a hike.  Don't let the name of the park fool you--it was beautiful there!


Even though the end of summer is in sight, there were lots of flowers to photograph as we hiked---that is my husband in the distance.


In other news, grand-dog Finn had his first haircut today. He's still just as cute as a button--no bias here!


I will be linking up with Kathy and the other slow stitchers in the morning.  I always enjoy checking to see what everyone has been up to each week.



13 comments:

  1. It sounds the perfect break and stitching on the boat would be my way to travel. Finn looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finn and that squirrel are adorable. Your stitching is getting more beautiful with each update. I am glad that you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a lovely time away! Finn looks very smart after his haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful break from your normal routine. Finn is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so beautiful up there! Next year we are going to rent a cottage in Sauble Beach. Last week, we were in Gravenhurst and all we thought about was how beautiful the Great Lakes are and that's where we should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that painting on the ship! looks like a great get away

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, I envy your boat-stitching. I brought my hexagons with me on our cruises and it is just so relaxing--good for you--enjoy and Finn is so cute!1 hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful adventure...lovely photos!
    Furry Finn is such a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing trip! I did not know the name of the place, so I had to find a map to see. Beautiful pictures you show from your holiday, and nice to bring with your embroidery.
    Finn is so cute with his haircut. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your vacation sounds wonderful - the water, hiking, stitching, reading - nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a lovely sounding vacation. Taking the time to enjoy the miracles that are around us is so important. My grandson has a golden doodle and Bella is such a wonderful dog too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's stitching ambiance! I love stitching when we go out on the boat, but you did it up in style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Was hoping to see pictures of the porch, I do so love a good porch. I would have been stitching on the boat right along with you. Very cool mural on the boat.
    Sandys Space

    ReplyDelete