Thursday, December 27, 2018

Finn's Quilt

One of the gifts I made last week was for our Grand-dog, Finn.  This little monkey needed his own quilt, since everyone else in the family already has one (or two!).  As you can see, I used some sock monkey fabric for the front of Finn's quilt and added a red gingham border and backing.  All of the fabrics are flannel. 


This little quilt has 5 layers of batting which I pieced using a zig zag stitch.  I used up some of my stash of leftover strips of batting from trimming quilts after they are quilted.  I just used some straight pins to hold it all together while I quilted it--My basting pins would not go through all the layers.


As you can see, Finn is quite proud of his new quilt.  I did not use binding on the edge of the quilt as it might come off if it gets chewed.  Instead, I folded the backing fabric up over the batting and sewed about 1/4" from the edge to hold it all together.  Next, I took the top border fabric and folded it under so that the fold laid on top of the 1/4" sewn edge.  I used a mending zigzag stitch to hold all of the layers together.  You might be able to see my stitching if you enlarge this picture:


Finn's quilt was made to fit inside his crate to make it comfy for him when my daughter is at work.


Here's Finn on Christmas Day, just after opening his quilt.


Right now, you are probably wondering what is on his head.  Santa put a Max (the dog from How the Grinch Stole Christmas) antler in Finn's stocking!  He wore it all day on Christmas Day and was cute as a button channelling his inner Max.



There was lots of excitement on Christmas Day with extended family around as well as his cousin, Skye.  Finn helped Skye open his gift from Finn.


By the end of the day, he was pooped!  Time for a nap on his new quilt!


I think he likes it!


The bow tie was also a gift from Santa and co-ordinated very well with his new quilt.


On Boxing Day, we took Finn for a walk on the nature trail.


Finn has kept us all laughing and smiling this Christmas!

Linking up with Finished or Not Friday

6 comments:

  1. What a good dog! He's as cute as can be. Merry Christmas, Finn!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky Finn who got his own quilt from grandma. Finn is such a cute dog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one lucky dawg! His Christmas gifts are so cute. I will think about making a quilt for Lola's cage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh so cute---Finn just knew that quilt was for him, right? I guess he believes in Santa for sure...hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete